Two Suits and a Dress: A Flash of Genius at SJU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.
SJU, we are happy to present our last Campus Celebrity of the Semester, the extremely talented trio, Two Suits and a Dress. Learn more about that team that has become famous for their pictures on campus:

Who are Two Suits and a Dress?

We are Ben Lackey, Mike Yap and Kati Polaski.

How did you meet?

Mike and I met freshman year. We lived down the hall from each other on the 3rd floor of McShain. Then both Mike and I worked for The Hawk and I was looking into bring a graphic designer to my layout team and Dr. Spinner, the paper adviser at the time, told me to get in touch with Kati and we saw how awesome her work was. 

What are your majors?

I am a food marketing co-op major, Mike is a finance major, and Kati is a marketing major.

What inspired the team’s interest in photography?

I got into photography because my grandma’s partner (Heather Neill, a professional painter) saw I was interested in art and was, at the time, enrolled in an art class at my high school. I went to their house to help with some yard work and in return she let me have her old digital camera (not a bad trade I’d say). From there I started shooting for fun. I was that kid in the group of friends that always had his camera. Then coming to St. Joe’s I decided to become part of the newspaper to learn more. During my high school time I was also mentored by my neighbor, who was a professional photographer. She’s taught me almost everything I know. When I met Mike, he also had a digital camera and was also interested in learning more about photography. Then he joined the paper and the more and more we shot and enjoyed it, we decided to make a career out of it. While we have shot a bunch of different subjects, we really love shooting people and landscapes to capture stories and to show how we see the world. 

So, is the job fun?

We have a blast photographing SJU students. At first it was a little awkward with the newspaper because we would be taking pictures for assignments and most of the time the students weren’t aware that someone was about to take their picture. Since then we’ve shot a bunch of sorority events and have become known as “those two suits guys” around campus. The sorority events are a bunch of fun though because the girls are overjoyed to have us there and we get some great shots when we’re with them. 

What other events have you photographed?

On campus we’ll regularly photograph events and other things for the university. Fun fact, over winter, the sju.edu snowy background was on of our photos! Besides on campus, we are huge into wedding photography. We’ve got a few coming up this summer and into the winter. We’ll also do engagement shoots, portraits, family lifestyle shots, corporate portraits, food/restaurant photography, and while we haven’t been contracted to shoot landscape or night gigs I would love to!

What is something that people don’t know about each of you?

Hmmm that’s hard. I would have to say that for me, it may or may not be known, but I’m a huge bluegrass fan and would have to say it’s one of my favorite genres of music. Mike’s fun fact is that besides being Chinese and Philippino, he is actually part Scottish. And one thing that most people don’t know about Kati is that she is actually a twin.

What are your plans after graduation?

Mike landed a job at Vanguard for after graduation. I’m still here because of the co-op program, but I’ll be spending my third co-op working for Yards Brewing Company here in Philly. Then Kati is going to be a senior next year so she’ll still be focused on school for a little while longer. Besides that, we’ll all still be here in Philly working on building Two Suits & a Dress into something that we could possibly have as our day job. 

What is something you want the SJU student body to know? 

I would just say that we are absolutely obsessed with the entrepreneurship world. Our goal is to meet other entrepreneurs and one day help start-ups with marketing and branding. We also a huge into mountain biking, triathlons and even more adventure racing and orienteering. Nothing beats team bonding like a 10 hour race through the middle of the woods! If you have any other questions or would like me to expand on anything please feel free to ask. 

Visit Two Suits and Dress on their website at: http://www.twosuitsphotodesign.com

A special thanks to Ben for the interview. We were so happy to have the opportunity!