This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Sandra Lee once said, “Baking cookies is comforting, and cookies are the sweetest little bit of comfort food.”

As Halloween passes, do not think that the time for delicious treats is over. Although we have probably overdone it with the sweets this past week, this time of year is perfect for some fresh homemade cookies. Two recipes that are particularly fall-like are Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies and Apple Oat Cookies. Both recipes are simple, so you can make them with your girlfriends in your apartment, or save the recipes to make with your family and friends at home over Thanksgiving.

Here are the recipes to each cookie:

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies:

Do not think it is too late to incorporate pumpkin into a recipe. Even after Halloween, pumpkin is the perfect flavor to spice up some cookies.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 cups chocolate chips

Steps:

• Preheat oven to 350°   
  • In bowl with a stand mixer beat the butter and pumpkin together until evenly combined.
  • Add both sugars and beat another minute.
  • Add eggs, vanilla, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt
  • Beat until smooth
  • Turn mixer to low and add in flour.
  • Finally stir in your choice of chocolate chips.
  • Drop by rounded tablespoon onto a baking sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes until centers are just set and edges are golden
  • Allow to cool for 3-4 minutes on baking sheet and then transfer to wire rack to continue cooling

Apple Oat Cookies

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs at room temperature
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 cup of an apple, peeled and shredded

Steps:

• Heat oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  • In large mixer bowl with paddle attachment beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until creamy. Then, beat in vanilla and eggs until all is blended.
  • In medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Gradually beat flour mixture into sugar mixture.
  • Stir in oats and apple.
  • Drop onto cookie sheet
  • Bake 10 minutes. The edges should be brown. 

Both of these cookies are the perfect snack to enjoy during the cool days of fall. They are delicious and the process of baking them could be the best part. Enjoy the company you are surrounded with and appreciate these upcoming holidays with your family and friends.

Hope you love them.