Career

The Truth About Being a Girl Boss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

I bet you’ve heard of the term “girl boss” before. The girl boss movement was started by a woman named Sophia Amoruso who founded the clothing company Nasty Gal. 

According to my good pal google, the definition of a girl boss is “a woman who takes control of her own destiny.” I love that.  

I love the whole “I am a strong independent young woman” thing. Because it’s true, you are!  

Something that I’ve learned lately is that being a driven young woman is the best feeling ever. Working hard, going the extra mile, putting yourself first…it’s all so empowering to pick your life up and turn it on the direction you want it to go in.  

Something that I’ve been doing lately is doing the things that I want to do, and working towards the goals that I want to achieve. If I want to get a coffee, I get a coffee. If I want to go workout, I go workout. If I want to talk to someone, I talk to them. These things seem so simple but it wasn’t until recently that I discovered that putting yourself first sometimes is really important. If you don’t, it’s easy to lose yourself.  

All that being said, being a girl boss is hard. Really hard. But it’s worth it.  

Being a girl boss is not all cute business casual outfits and Starbucks. Sometimes it’s coming home after a really long day and still going to the gym to sweat it out. Sometimes it’s staying up way too late doing homework and getting up at 6 the next day. Sometimes it’s taking a bad day and saying you’ll get the next one.  

I really love being busy and working hard, I’m usually doing something every minute of every day. So I started scheduling in time to watch YouTube videos, time to hang out with the girls during the week, time to read (yes guys reading is great, 10/10 recommend). I schedule in a coffee break during my classes because my iced almond milk latte really brightens my days. I started writing on the go, like right now I’m writing this article on a stationary bike! You just gotta make it work.  

Being a girl boss is fun. It’s rewarding. It’s hard. It’s tiring. It’s frustrating. It’s worth it.  

So to my girl bosses, you’re doing great. I want you to know on those days when you don’t know if all the work is worth it, I’m trying to figure that out too. I think hard work always wins. So keep girl bossing it up!  

HCXO,  

Faith

Faith Prince- SJU
Saint Joseph's University Campus Correspondent