This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Bikini season (aka summer) is a stressful time for collegiate women. Pressure to look good on the beach and by the pool while still indulging in sweet summertime treats is beyond intimidating. Three months without homework and finals provides the perfect time to experience workouts beyond the O’Pake recreation center. Alexis Grieco, ’15, extended her fitness mission beyond the gym and trained to become a vinayse yoga instructor at Dana Hot Yoga studio in Bala Cynwyd. Alexis can be spotted around campus spreading her peaceful attitude that she attributes entirely to yoga as well as her tight and toned body.

How do you stay fit at SJU?

I will sometimes go to the gym to run on the tredmill… I like going outside for runs on the Merion side of campus and through the beautiful neighborhoods, however, if you want to know the one true way I stay fit at SJU… it is through yoga. I am a certified vinyasa yoga instructor through Dana Hot Yoga off of Bala Ave right around the corner from SJU. Yoga has honestly changed my life physically, mentally, and spiritually. I practice every day whether it be on my own in my apartment, or actually going to take a class at the studio… yoga is my number one way of staying fit and I always urge guys and girls to try it out. It is a full body work out, forces you to be strong in the mind, and gets you sweating through intense breath work. 

What does your daily workout consist of?

My daily work out consists of yoga. I wake up in the morning and do a small flow on my own to awaken the body and open the muscles, maybe do some deep pranayama (breath) work to stimulate and cleanse my internal organs and create internal fire. I then will either take a class at a studio or do a full blown out flow on my own. I always do at least one yoga class a day, but most of the time I try to do two (would strongly suggest starting with one class for beginner/intermediate practitioner). I then end my day with some alternate nostril breathing and a short meditation to relax my body. I have to say… I think I spend more time upside down during the day then anything else… it is so exhilarating while simultaneously giving so many benefits.

What do you do to stay fit at SJU (besides yoga)? 

Any SJU student can incorporate yoga into their work out by simply stretching at the beginning and end. Poses as basic as downward facing dog is a great pose to stretch the backs of the legs and melt the heart between the shoulder blades thereby opening them and the rest of the body up.

How could an SJU student incorporate Yoga into her work out?

My biggest motivation to go to the gym is to simply release any stress or tensions… just knowing that it makes me feel better.. releasing endorphins and working the body in healthy ways is motivating in and of itself. 

What is your biggest motivation to go to the gym? Even after you have taught a class? 

How do you stay fit in the summer?

YOGA YOGA YOGA!!!  

Alexis encourage everyone to try her classes held during the school year both on campus and at Dana Hot Yoga. She is also open to any question anyone has about getting into yoga.

Maya is a sophmore, Pharmasuctical Healthcare Marketing and Communications double major. Aside for writting for her campus, she is the Editor of the Pharmasuctical Marketing Newsletter,  and Director of the Philanthropy for the,Theta Theta chpater of Alpha Phi. If you see Maya around campus she is mostlikly sporting her Trenta iced americano from starbucks, in her ridiculous overised sun glasses and Wearing Fahsion greek or Francesca Joy (Companies she is a representive for). Maya looks forward to contributing to HerCampus and showing how SJU is full of some HBIC's.