SUMMER 2013 Music Festivals, and Must Sees + A Few tips for your concert experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

The summer music scene promises to be exciting with quite a mixture of lineups featured at popular festivals like Bonaroo, Camp Bisco, and Firefly. Bonaroo is first in line this summer with a start date of June 13 through the 16th. Paul McCartney will headline this Tennessee festival. Mumford & Sons, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, and The Lumineers will also be performing, just to name a few. Besides indie rock artists, Bonaroo will also feature Pretty Lights, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, and the rapper Kendrick Lamar. As of now, tickets are still available for $269.50. With over 100 artists performing for three days straight, this is quite a deal.

For those of you on the east coast who can’t make it to Tennessee this summer, the Firefly festival from June 21st thru June 23rd is in Dover, DE, and has a very similar lineup. Tom Petty will headline for Firefly, along with The Red Hot Chili Peppers. The Lumineers and Kendrick Lamar will also be performing. Other must-sees include MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Foster the People, and my personal favorite, Ellie Goulding. Firefly too, is also a little bit cheaper than Bonaroo with tickets going for $258.00. For SJU students on a budget this summer but want a festival experience, Firefly may be your best bet.

Last but certainly not least, Camp Bisco is always a hot spot for raging music lovers and fun-loving hippies.  If you are neither, it is very easy to fit in at this festival because CB provides music of all kinds and attracts a very peaceful crowd. Camp Bisco is driving distance from Philadelphia in Albany, NY and will be from July 11th-13th. Camp Bisco has the cheapest tickets out of the three festivals, now on sale for $185, but does not have a cheap line up. This year Bassnectar and Passion Pit will be performing. The great part about Camp Bisco is that you can see your favorite EDM Artists like Bassnectar, Flux Pavilion, and Dillon Francis, but also at the same time relax with Animal Collective, Macklemore, and the beautiful covers from Ryan Hemsworth.

With these lineups in order, the next step is to plan for your trip. Remember to pack lightly because if you’re a normal college student, the most you can afford is the camping area. Now, a three-day camping trip along with sweaty crowds and greasy concert food does not leave you in the most beautiful state. So, pack the essentials: make-up wipes, deodorant, dry shampoo, sunscreen with aloe for moisturizing, toothbrush, compact hairbrush, and a small cosmetic bag for your money and phone. For outfits, Urban Outfitter’s spring collection has the must-haves for fun and flirty festival styles.

Try out these fashion finds for a fun and flirty festival look:

1.The graph tee

2. Cheeky Jean Shorts

4. All Star Converse Print High Tops

5.  Woodblock print headwrap