This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

On Monday, November 4th, Saint Joseph’s held a forum discussing the racist incidents that have happened over the course of this semester. Thousands of students migrated to Hagan Arena to listen to our administration, faculty, and peers on these events and the burden they have placed on our community It opened with speeches from administration condemning the racially charged acts. Following, several of our peers illustrated their own personal struggles of being minorities at SJU, each speech just as gripping as the next. The University forum raised a lot of questions we have all been asking semester after semester at SJU. Furthermore, the Forum has garnered mixed reviews, some enjoying the dialogue and calls to action, while others felt it was just administrative damage control.

For a lot of students and faculty, the forum brought to light the racism that is ingrained in our culture. These incidents are not new, but finally, the higher-ups have decided to take initiative and minimize these racist acts. By implementing a new committee and publishing diversity and inclusion website, both designed to tackle racially charged acts as well as to uphold the promise of inclusion and diversity in our school’s mission statement, administration is hoping to deter these events from taking place by having a set protocol and dedicated staff. All this information was insightful in letting us know that our administration is trying to do something, even if it is controversial. Sophomore Megan Piasecki remarked, “the forum was informative with interesting aspects on how micro and macro aggressions of truly affect all of us.” Firsthand, we could grasp how damaging exclusion and racism can be. This was enlightening in so many ways, but the recurring question on everyone’s mind: “Why does this continue to happen?” If we know so much about racism, how horrible it is and how it affects people of color, how can it happen time and time again at SJU?

Photo: Joetta Slanger

Many criticized the idea of a forum overall saying that the students who are attending the forum are the ones who are well aware of what needs to be done. Were they just preaching to the choir? There is also criticism of the fact that the alleged perpetrators of these racists incidents are protected under FERPA, which means neither their identity nor their sentencing can be revealed. While these laws are important, it also helps perpetuate racially charged acts. When there is no perceived punishment that happens, it gives racists students the right to continue these heinous incidents with little repercussions. Instead, the victims are pinned in a precarious position when they are most vulnerable.

This forum was incredibly necessary heading into a new year at Saint Joseph’s. Perhaps SJU administration did not get everything right, but it is important to continue conversations of racism going. It is important for all of us to do our part as a community to ensure everyone is safe to thrive. So remember, if you witness something that is racist or anything you know is not right, say something. If we all hold each other accountable, we can permanently shift the culture at SJU.

HCXO,

Joetta

Business Administration Major Cat lover Recovering Directioner
Saint Joseph's University Campus Correspondent