SJU Women’s Basketball Team: The Atlantic 10 Champions You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Natasha Cloud, Junior transfer student from University of Maryland is now one of SJU’s most loved women’s basketball team captains.  Last year Natasha played her old school University of Maryland, and beat them on her hawk home court. Natasha gave Her Campus SJU the scoop about her experience so far as a player, the entire team, and what they are most looking forward to this year.

As A-10 champions of 2013 and Athlon Sports‘ #20 on “Women’s Hoops Preview” The SJU women’s basketball team is ready for another great season. Returning three starters and eight letterwinners overall from last year, these ballers are prepared for anything.

Last year the team beat Drexel, their first Big 5 game, as the buzzer sounded. Also, they beat #5 nationally ranked University of Maryland. “The day we were supposed to play University of Maryland I woke up with a good feeling…but I didn’t want to jinx it. When we won, I knew then I was meant to be at SJU,” Natasha told us.

This season the Hawk women are in the process of fine-tuning, with great players such as Erin Sheilds, Ashley Robinson, and possible freshman starters. Natasha promised HC they are looking strong.

From last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTA80H_02mA

The only part the women’s team seems to be lacking is a student section. Where is the SJU student body? The men’s basketball team tickets sell out before the school year even starts. The women’s team, however, deserves a lot more on campus recognition.

“We just need students at the court. We have our brat pack that follows us everywhere…but it would be nice to have some student support. We go and support a lot of teams so it would be nice that all SJU athletes encouraged each other,” Natasha said.

Her Campus agrees. That’s why we interviewed a few students to get their feedback on the women’s team:

Brendan Roberts ’15: “I honestly don’t interact with them much, however I work the concessions at their games from time to time. They don’t get any fans compared to the guys team, but they deserve them for sure.”

Cara McGlew ’15:“Well I’ve never been to a game…but I do know that the reputation of the women’s basketball team proceeds itself. For whatever reason the team doesn’t get the turn out they clearly deserve.” 

Connor Hill ’15: “I’ve been to one game; it was a surprisingly good turn out for the holy war on the women’s side. They were really good last year. I was impressed by how confident they were on the court and how tough they played.”

Ryan Fox ’14:  “I’ve been to a game and they were way under attended which is a huge shame because the team is way too good. They made it to the tournament and had some bigs win last year, they absolutely deserve more support.”

Joey Giovanisci ’16: “I’ve never gone to a game mainly because I’m busy but I would like to find out when they are, and get to one this year.”

Gabi Soreth ’14: Although I have never attended a SJU women’s basketball game during my time here, I hope to support these talented ladies in the future.”

Overall, our SJU women’s basketball has the spirit we all wish we had. As Natasha stated, “We tell ourselves before a big game we have everything to gain, and they have everything to lose” This is a motto for true winners.

Come out Friday November 8th for the women’s home opener, and see these female hawks fly.