SJU Students Take On Women’s Marches

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

On Saturday, January 21, millions of “Sister Marchers” attended the Women’s March on Washington and its Sister Marches around the world (including right here in Philly!), making for a beautiful demonstration of togetherness and promoting the equality deserved by all.

Many SJU students attended these historic Marches, toting clever signs and passionately supporting the message that women’s rights are human rights.

Check out these empowering photos of Hawks taking on Women’s Marches, and read about their inspiring experiences while standing up for what they believe in:

Cass Muratore ’18 (center) – “Attending the Women’s March on Washington was an incredibly invaluable experience for me. I have always been an advocate for social justice but have never participated in something so impactful. Gathering with other women, men, and children that have such passion for justice and equality empowers me to continue to rise above and resist hate.”

Jenna Miller ’18 – “My mom’s friends actually wanted me to go to the March on Washington but when I found out there was going to be one in Philly I wanted to be able to be a part of extended versions of it too. It was just so impressive to see all different generations of women there from different roots all there in a positive way, everyone was smiling and happy to be there and you could totally feel the energy in the air. Women’s issues are human issues and it didn’t feel exclusive at all, more of a global feel than a national feel. This world was built on women, most importantly women of color, and the fact that it is 2017 and we are protesting this should be a main concern. It’s time to get stuff done and teach the next generations about the social and economical equality of women!! Being a part of a peaceful protest so large and impactful was amazing and I feel proud to be on this side of history!!”

Bridget Mullen ’18 (left) – “I went to the Women’s March in Philly as an act of solidarity with women across the country and the world and because it needed to be done. If this election shows us anything it’s the need to be proactive citizens and work for what you believe as seen through the March! Being there forced me to think of the times I haven’t as actively stood up for what I believe in and pushed me to do so for so many more causes in the future, like feminist issues!”

Tess Hill ’18 (right) – “I went to the Women’s March on Philadelphia because I wanted to be a part of history! I was extremely disheartened by the misogynistic rhetoric used during the election and felt I needed to voice my feminist opinion alongside women across the country. I had the best time at the march and met so many wonderful and positive women and men who truly want an equal America.”

Sammy Kominiarek ’19 (left) – “I marched because we need to unite and rise together! The experience was incredible. I felt so alive seeing all the creative and inspiring signs!! I also loved seeing all the little girls holding empowering sings and thinking about how this is our future.”

Caitlin Goodman ’17 (left) – “I attended the Women’s March on Philadelphia because I felt compelled, as a woman and a human being, to stand up for gender equality. At the march I was surrounded by beautiful and kind women, men, and children, and truly feel honored to have been able to participate in such a historic event.”

Nick Crouse ’18 (center) – “Once I got to the city and really found myself in the heart of the women’s march in D.C., I realized that what I was witnessing was something historic. And in history, as I’ve come to realize, often not until liberties are challenged does real progress in mindsets and actions ever occur. After attending the march and sharing a post about the global response on Facebook, my aunt commented the question “What got accomplished?” to which I responded with this: “Exercising the right that the ideals of democracy base themselves on – of having a voice and speaking up against policies or injustices that the people disagree with isn’t something that needs an immediate result to be “accomplished.” The women’s march is a global response to a very legitimate threat of women’s rights and representation felt by a widespread number of people (see the estimated march attendance statistics if you think otherwise – over half a million in D.C. alone). And while protesting often doesn’t bring forth immediate change within communities and societies, it does spark a conversation on issues that, when spoken out against in majorities, demands to be recognized and eventually ratified.” For me, this is why I chose to march. This is why I stood together with those who have not always been considered, protected, or celebrated.”

HCXO,

Franki