SJU Campus Ministry’s Weekend Art Retreat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Okay ladies, it’s time to relax! There’s no need to let the post break funk settle in. Stick with me to learn how to keep your stress level low amongst upcoming exams, essays, and your heavy course load, not to mention social activities, extracurricular obligations, and the everyday stressors that come along with college life.

This past Friday, I spent 24 hours in what felt like a whole new world, despite being just miles from campus. I joined a small group of students sponsored by Campus Ministry on a relaxing, self-reflective art retreat, the first of its kind at Saint Joseph’s University.

After classes on Friday, each with our bags packed and art supplies in hand, we met in Wolfington Hall to group before making the short trip to Haverford, where the beautiful, secluded 19th century retreat house, St. Raphaela’s Center awaited our welcome arrival.  The sisters of St. Ralph’s, who St. Joe’s has a long-standing partnership with, opened their doors for us and cared for us throughout our stay.

The inspiration for such an event originated from one special person: Jaclyn “Jackie” Newns. Her interest in the healing power of art was sparked in an art therapy course she took while at the University of Scranton.

Newns described her experience as the most important influencer for who she is today. The art course is credited with helping Newns “express [her] emotion.” Newns stresses the significant way in which art became a therapeutic outlet for her to explore her inner-self.

Newns emphasizes the meaning of spirituality as expressed through art. Spirituality has a particular meaning for Newns: a “wholeness or authenticity.” In this context, spirituality comes from thinking about who you are, what you want, and what you hope for.

Spirituality is one of the three themes this art retreat was framed around; self-image and self-awareness are the other two themes. Students were left to their own creative devices for each several-hour-long session to create in an individual, secluded place.

According to Newns, art is a way to be creative and to “feel beautiful.” Nadia Cugini, a freshman at SJU describes art as being a way to express her emotions. At the close of the retreat, Cugini reported a feeling of pure happiness.

The first of the sessions focused on discovering oneself and looking within. Students were encouraged to use paints on watercolor paper in an emotional release. Newns emphasizes the importance of the process, instead of the product. In other words, when using art as a therapeutic outlet, one should feel the art and the act of doing instead of planning out a set design. Newns said, “we are here to enjoy the process of creating.”

Following a brief group session in which students were given the opportunity to sculpt clay in an emotional response to musical influences, students moved on to the next session. This session focused on spirituality and one’s own interpretation of the Divine through the use of canvas. Students were encouraged to explore their own idea of spirituality and create a reflection of that influence on their own lives.

The last of the sessions allowed students to become more self-aware by looking at light and dark aspects of one’s life. In this last project, students were urged to create mixed media with a collection of resources: fabric, ribbons, buttons, magazines, beads, wood, charcoal, plastic, glitter, and so much more.  

The retreat ended in a meaningful closing ceremony in which students formed a circle symbolizing community. Students were given the opportunity to share finished pieces and personal reflections.

Newns expressed a hope for students to walk away with a feeling of “re-centeredness, confidence, and connectedness.”

Skylar Althouse, a freshman at SJU reports just that. She explained that During the trip I was able to let go of her strong emotions. “I felt renewed and refreshed,” she said.

“I felt a sense of exploring my faith and sensuality through art,” said Cugini.

(All photos by Skylar Althouse)

HCXO,

Rachael