This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

As a Marketing and International Business double major, I take every opportunity available to meet someone new and listen to their story. While living my life, learning through others can be difficult, but in my opinion, it is worth all of the times that I’ve been ignored. As the weather continues to quickly change, I find myself requesting Uber rides more frequently to travel comfortably to my destination. When my ride arrives, I view it as a prime opportunity to meet someone new. I always start conversations with my driver simply by saying, “Hello, how are you?” As a very convenient and reliable form of transportation, I have taken countless rides over my year and a half as an SJU student. Sometimes I get nervous to speak up when I am alone in the car with my driver, but then I remember that everywhere the car goes is tracked via the app. Uber also recently received high safety and customer satisfaction ratings! Furthermore, every conversation I have is something worth remembering and the ride will most likely end with a happy and satisfied driver, especially after he receives five stars from you.

Below are a few interesting facts about Uber that should be on the top of your list when needing a ride or a little chat as an urban college student.

1.     Flexibility: Uber drivers choose when they work. They have a certain number of hours that they must complete within their first 30 days, but then it’s up to them where they station their vehicles to retrieve ride requests. I have had drivers who ranged from current college students to retired workers who decided to start working for this company to make a little extra money and keep busy.  The average percentage of income increase has gone up 71% since applying to work for Uber! Where will you find better numbers than that??

2.     14% of drivers are women! This is more than any other immediate car pick-up service in the United States!

3.     Uber drivers make an hourly wage of just about $20! Many drivers take an estimate of three rides per hour, and depending on how often they decide to go out for business, they can make bank!

So if you are in the market for a new side job while starting to study away for your finals, definitely consider checking out Uber. If you don’t have a car and need a ride to Blarney’s next Thursday, strike up a conversation with your driver. You never know the information that you will learn! 

XO,

HC, FG

(: