Pope-Pocalypse 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Pope-Pocalypse 2015. There isn’t a better phrase than that to describe what is about to become of the City of Philadelphia this coming weekend. 

Let me just emphasize that a little more by shelling out some perspective. You know that big bridge, the Ben Franklin? Yeah, the one that leads into Philadelphia? And 676, the highway that leads into the Ben Franklin Bridge? They are being shut down completely. The reason they are being shut down is not because of the amount of traffic that would be stuck there, if you can believe it. 676 and the BF Bridge are to be closed Friday at 10pm to allow for pedestrians to cross over and into the city. These highways are being closed so people can make a pilgrimmage, which means walking tens and tens of miles, to get into our beloved city to see the pope.

What I’m saying is that if you’re in the city, you’re stuck. And if you’re outside of the city, good luck getting anywhere.

What does this mean for the weekend? Did His Holiness ruin all of our fun? Definitely not. If you want to bike or walk to the Ben Franklin Parkway on Sunday to attend his mass in person, do it. That’s a once in a lifetime experience. But for those who would rather not walk 10 miles to be swallowed up by millions of people, we can’t blame you. Never fret, because there are things to keep you occupied this weekend in Philadelphia and HerCampus would like to share some ideas we have to keep the Pope-Pocalypse from getting you down.

Take a stroll to City Ave and wave at the pope. After his 10:30 AM mass at Cathedral Basilica of SS. Peter and Paul, the Pope will make his way to St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, traveling down City Ave and the center of our campus to get there. This is a good compromise for those who don’t want to travel far but would still like the opportuntiy to see the pope in person.

Participate in the Pope Crawl. If you’re of age, Philadelphia is welcoming the pope the way they know best: by having a pub crawl. It takes place in Center City, so if you have a way to get there or are already there, it’s the perfect way to enjoy the day while the pope is visiting. Tickets include drink specials and visits to more than 15 bars. You can buy tickets here

Stuff your face at Reading Terminal Market. Inside the market, Down Home Diner is going to be open for 24 hours from September 25-27th. If the retro theme and delicious food isn’t enough to get you down there, the entire Market will have extended hours during the pope’s visit. 

Experience the lunar eclipse. You don’t have to be an astronomy nerd to enjoy the scientific phenomena that is the eclipse. We suggest to make a night of it if you’re stuck on campus. Have some drinks, watch some movies, and when the time is right go outside and enjoy the view of a blood red moon. For more information on the eclipse, click here.

Venture to Morgan’s Pier for Popeapalooza. For every person that enters the Pier, one dollar will be donated to one of three charities the person chooses. While many of the stores and restaurants around Philly will be closed, Morgan’s Pier will be bustling with people there to celebrate Pope Francis with pope-themed snacks, drinks, and games.

If none of these seem better than laying around and doing nothing, there’s always Netflix. This weekend will be an exciting one for many reasons, and if you’re not one to want to participate in the papal mass, there’s plenty to do around the city. Happy Pope-Pocalypse!

Hi! My name is Alli Murray and I am a sophomore communications major at Saint Joe's University. I am passionate about leading a healthy life, which means eating clean and workin' on my fitness! My goal is to inspire girls to do the same and help kickstart their fitness journey.