This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

One of the amazing things about Hawk Hill are the restaurants so close to home. Spring is one of the best times to go on a city adventure, and what better trip to plan than for great food. Grab a friend and head into the city for a study break at some of these amazing restaurants!

Cafe Lift

428 N 13th St, Philadelphia, PA 19123

Cafe Lift is one of my secret brunch places but I’ll share it for the sake of my fellow Hawks. Located in the Spring Garden area right outside of center city, Cafe Lift is best described as a modern hipster cafe that attracts a young diverse crowd and fills fast. The wait for a table can be a little long but it’s worth the wait. Cafe Lift is great for a college budget, cash only, and BYOB.

El Camino Real

1040 N 2nd St, Philadelphia, PA 19123

El Camino is great if you love Mexican food. The restaurant is located in Northern Liberties, a popular spot for college-aged students. Enjoy sitting outside under the twinkle lights or inside by the bar with the music playing loud. El Camino has an open atmosphere and delicious food. Perfect for an early afternoon lunch or late night stop before going out.

Ms. Tootsie’s Soul Food Cafe

1312 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147

A little bit more fancy, Ms. Tootsie’s is famous for their soul food and has been name-dropped in songs by Drake and Philly’s very own Meek Mill. Ms. Tootsie’s is great if you have a big appetite but also want a classier night out on the town for dinner. South Street is also an amazing place to take a stroll, whether it be during the day or the evenings, and venture into the small shops and concert venues.

Sweet Charlie’s

711 Walnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19106

Sweet Charlie’s is Philly’s first rolled ice cream shop. Rolled ice cream has become a popular treat for its unique style. The frozen yogurt or ice cream is made to order in front of you on a cold surface that is below 20 degrees.

HCXO,

Kiana

Kiana is a sophomore at Saint Joseph's University majoring in English. She is a contributing writer for The Lala and previously a contributing writer for The Prospect.