In October we Wear Pink… for Breast Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month! All around the country from big cities to small towns, corporations to small businesses, schools to hospitals, people work to raise awareness and money to help put this disease out of commission. In Philadelphia, the reminder is very visible and very moving:  the fountain at Love Park runs Pink water for the entire month.

Now that you are aware, how can you get involved? SJU has its own own Breast Cancer awareness Club, “Think Pink.” This is a student run organization that supports the Susan G. Komen Foundation, the largest Breast Cancer Research Foundation in the world!

“Think Pink” hosts a week of awareness and fundraising events at SJU every October. This year it will be from the 6th to the 10th. Our theme will be football, so help us drive the fight against breast cancer off the field and into the end zone! 

Here is how you can help support the winning team:

The Kick-Off

When: Monday October 6th 11:00am-2:00pm

Where: Mandeville Lobby

Bake sale, t-shirt sale ($10), koozies (price TBA) and raffle ticket ($1 for one ticket or $5 for 6 tickets) sale!

There will be three raffle baskets the first one featuring L’Oreal, but filled with hundreds of dollars with a variety of beauty products, the second will have two pink Paul Fredrick men’s ties, and the third on will have a $50 Chipotle gift card!

Here is the L’Oreal Raffle Basket

Here are the two Paul Fredrick ties

Lateral Toss

When: Tuesday October 7th 11:00am-1:00pm

Where: Campion

T-shirt, koozie, and raffle ticket sales!

The Field Goal

When: Wednesday October 8th 11:00am-1:00pm

Where: Campion Courtyard

Charge to Campion Courtyard for a Tailgate fundraising event featuring sandwiches donated by Jimmy John’s, soft pretzels and more. Music and games will help to celebrate this three-point play! Also, eat at Landmark and 25% of your check will be donated to the Susan G Komen Foundation for research!

Third and Goal

When: Thursday October 9th 11:00am-1:00pm

Where: Campion

T-shirt, koozie and raffle ticket sales!  

For the 21-and-over crowd only: Kildare’s Manayunk will host an open bar from 7:00pm-9:00pm. Pay $20 at the door and say you are there for the “Drink Pink” Event. A donation of $5 will go towards the Susan G Komen Foundation from each person’s deposit at the door.

Here is the T-shirt for this year

First and Ten

When: Friday October 10th 11:00am-1:00pm

Where: Campion

T-shirt sale, koozie and raffle ticket sales!

Mark these dates on your calendar to help us drive the fight against breast cancer off the field and into the end zone…and don’t forget to WEAR PINK!