News Flash: Your Week in One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Ukraine protests may come to an end.

Ukrainian anti-government protesters are calling for the government’s resignation and early elections for new leaders. The protests began Sunday in Kiev, the capital of the Ukraine. On Thursday the protesters agreed to a truce only lasting a few hours while opposition leaders met with President Viktor Yanukovych and other Ukrainian leaders. Police forces in the capital are being blamed by the public for violence towards the protesters. However, the government says that the police were “merely responding to an effort to overthrow the government.”

See video of the protest from the New York Times here

Broncos and Seahawks head to the Super bowl.

Peyton Manning and the Broncos will face off against Richard Sherman and the Seahawks on February 2nd at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey for Super Bowl XLVIII. Seattle beat the San Francisco 49ers to take their 2nd ever trip in franchise history to the Super Bowl. So fans are looking for that big win. The Broncos beat the patriots in the AFC championship game. The pressure of that game may not be on par with that of the Super Bowl but we did get to see the old Manning vs. Brady rivalry bring even more authority to the game. You can tune in to watch the game on Fox. Be sire to look out for some great commercials too!

See who is favored to win the big game here

MLK’s daughter calls for “no shots fired” day.

Most people across the country recognize Martin Luther King Day as a day of no school or work. In addition, he was commemorated with marches, speeches, and parades. Perhaps the most important aspect of Dr. King’s birthday this year was the request made by his daughter and The King Center. The King Center launched the Choose Nonviolence campaign saying, “Let’s honor Dr. King by abstaining from violence on his holiday.” In other words a day of ‘No Shots Fired.’

Listen to Dr. King’s famous “I have a dream” speech here

Gunman kills one on Purdue campus.

A gunman shot and killed a man at the Indiana school on Tuesday. The event took place inside a classroom in the university’s Electrical engineering building forcing students to evacuate. It appears that the shooter had a specific target in mind and that the incident is isolated. The victim has been identified as Andrew Boldt, a 21-year-old senior. The suspect, Cody Cousins has been arrested on charges of murder. It is still unclear what the motive behind the murder was.

See a statement from Purdue University Police here.

Hi! Name is Ally, and I'm from the Lehigh Valley in PA. I am a sophomore Marketing major, Spanish minor at Saint Joseph's University. I am very excited to on the editorial team for Her Campus SJU!