News Flash: Your Week in One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

January 2014 is the fourth warmest January on record.

Even though here in Philly we dealt with the polar vortex and much more snow than normal, the earth as a whole recorded the fourth warmest January on record, showing that global warming may be having an effect. While the eastern half of the country experienced temperatures lower than average, California and Alaska both recorded an average temperature for January that was 15 degrees higher than normal.

Watch a video about the polar vortex here.

Facebook buys WhatsApp.

On Wednesday Facebook said they are planning to buy a mobile messaging app called WhatsApp for $16 billion. The start up company will operate separately within Facebook, similar to Instagram. Currently WhatsApp has over 450 million monthly users and they add more than 1 million users per day.

Download WhatsApp here.

Government opposition in the Ukraine agrees to a deal.

Ukraine has experienced political unrest for the past three months, and a week of deadly violence. The Ukrainian government and opposition have come to a deal to end the violence and to alter the Ukrainian constitution. The major change in the constitution will be to cut the president’s power. Many protesters say that the deal is not enough. They want President Viktor Yanukovych to resign by 10 a.m. on Saturday. However, the deal calls for presidential elections “as soon as the constitution is adopted but no late that December 2014.” Even though political decision makers have struck a deal the movement continues by the people of Ukraine.  

See a video about the deal here.

Hi! Name is Ally, and I'm from the Lehigh Valley in PA. I am a sophomore Marketing major, Spanish minor at Saint Joseph's University. I am very excited to on the editorial team for Her Campus SJU!