News Flash: Your Week in One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

A One stop to inform yourself about some of the goings on of the country and the world while you were busy studying (and on Facebook)

Even though the Government Shutdown is coming to an end effects continue.

The Chinese government became vocal over the last few days of the United States Government shutdown saying that the way to keep their money safe from a US government default was the “begin creating a deamericanized world” Recently China has begun to make it’s economy less dependent on exports and move to a more domestic demand based market. Beijing has begun to diversify however; it continues to rely heavily on American government-backed debt. There is not much China can do except watch and wait. The U.S. government is still paying it’s debts and has avoided a default but this close call could have long term effects. China will most likely continue to buy treasury bonds, but they may opt for fewer of for those with shorter maturities. Both of those alternatives will drive up long-term interest rates in the United States. This entire shutdown situation has been a wake up call that holding U.S. government securities is not risk free.

Check out this awesome visual to make more sense of the shutdown: http://visual.ly/how-governmen…

New survey conveys that 30 million people are enslaved worldwide.

The Walk Free Foundation recently surveyed and estimated that roughly 29.8 million people are still enslaved worldwide. Almost half of the people considered to be enslaved are in India. These people could be trafficked into brothels, forced into labor, victims of debt bondage, or they may have even been born into servitude. After India, China has the next highest number of slaves while Mauritania and Haiti have the most slaves per capita. The foundation hopes that in releasing this study people will be aware that slavery is not just an issue of the past.

Read more about Walk Free Foundation: http://www.walkfreefoundation.org/

14 and 12-year-old girls are arrested for aggravated stalking

Rebecca Ann Sedwick a seventh grader near Miami, FL killed herself five weeks ago by jumping off of a cement factory silo. Rebecca had been bullied for a year face-to-face and online. After her death the 14-year-old, “primary harasser” as well as another 12-year-old though to be involved were arrested and charged with aggravated stalking, a third degree felony, this past week and will be processed through the juvenile court system. These girls sought out Rebecca and told her “no one likes you” and to “drink bleach and die.” The bullying escalated and Rebecca began cutting herself and was hospitalized, her mother even homeschooled her for a year to avoid the bullies. Ultimately, the efforts to help Rebecca were unsuccessful. Police are urging parents to be aware of what their children are doing online.

Read more at: http://www.miamiherald.com/201…

Hi! Name is Ally, and I'm from the Lehigh Valley in PA. I am a sophomore Marketing major, Spanish minor at Saint Joseph's University. I am very excited to on the editorial team for Her Campus SJU!