This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Call it sock bun or top knot envy, the opposite gender has taken over the casual hairstyle women having been wearing for years. The “man bun” or “mun” trend has men growing out and pulling up their long locks around the globe, as is evident by the wildly popular Instagram account @manbunmonday. Her Campus SJU caught up with the boys who have brought the trend to Hawk Hill. We’re happy to share the following interviewers and photographs of some of the most fashion forward boys we’ve met to date.  Go ahead and check out these buns!

Name: Chase Elliot

Class Year: Junior

Major: Film

Hometown: South African transplant currently residing in Palm Beach Gardens, FL.

What inspired your man bun?

“The first man to rock a bun who inspired me to get one had to be Tom Cruise’s in the Last Samurai because he just slays it. But much more recently, I was filming a music video with my friend Derek this past summer and he had a mun. It was the first time I saw him since he went to film school in LA. After seeing it, I told him I was going to get one and I did.” (laughs)

What was the best reaction you’ve gotten to your man bun?

“When I first got it cut one of my friends told me I look like a ninja so that was pretty sweet.”

…And the worst? “When my mom saw me with it she said I look like a girl. Not so sweet.”

Well, we certainly don’t think so…

Name: Pat Garriz

Class Year: Senior

Major: Marketing with a Communications Minor.

Hometown: Newark, Delaware.

What inspired your man bun?

“I had an undercut first and there is really nothing else for me to do so I went with this. You can always cut it!”

What has been the best reaction to your man bun?

“Whenever I go to a bar where there are random people, there are at least five people who want to touch the bun.”

…And the worst?

“My mom saying she doesn’t like it.”

How would you describe your style?

“80’s punk mixed with 90’s New York street wear.”

We’re biased to think Pat’s best accessory is his French bull dog, Goku.

Name: Kalib

Class Year: Sophomore

Major: International Business

Hometown: Somerdale, New Jersey

What inspired your man bun?

“Instagram. It’s kind of dope since I am in college, but I will cut it before the summer because I have an internship.”

We love the bun, but your boss might not. Smart move, Kalib.

What inspires your style the most?

“Social media plays a big role because you can see people from around the world who wear different stuff so I wanted to try it.”

Name: Jarvis Stack 

Class Year: Junior 

Major: Finance 

Hometown: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania 

What inspired your man bun? 

“I was kind of just doing long hair…Jesus flow. I was at a concert at the beginning of the semester and a girl put my hair up in a man bun for me. Ever since then, I’ve been into it.” 

What are three words to describe your style? 

“Random, unique, and modern.” 

We swooned over the man bun…and the smirk, too. 

Name: Rich Viebrock

Class Year: Senior

Major: International Business.

Hometown: Carmel, New York.

What inspired your man bun?

“I studied abroad in South Africa and the voltage is different there. When I went to cut my hair, the buzzer broke and a year later, this happened.”

How would you describe your style?

“I’d definitely say that my style is affected by ethical fashion choices.

Hence the Patagonia jacket.

Name: Peter Born

Class Year: Sophomore

Major: Political Science 

Hometown: Fredon, New Jersey. 

What inspired your man bun? 

“I went to a Catholic high school and you could never grow your hair out. I think there was always something I had to look formal for. I always had to be clean cut so I always kept a buzz cut! That’s why [I have a man bun]!” 

What’s been the best reaction to your man bun? 

When someone said I look like the lead singer from Kings of Leon – my all time favorite band.” 

Peter also channels is artistic energy into being our only male writer for Her Campus SJU. 

We had a blast working with the boys who are representing the man bun presence on Hawk Hill. Don’t be shy to say hello to your fellow hawk fashion gurus when you see their buns on campus! 

HCXO, 

Paige and Taylor 

My name is Paige Kacmar, I am a marketing major at Saint Joseph's University. I am so excited to be part of the HerCampus SJU team. I love every little thing about Saint Joe's and could not imagine myself spending these four years anywhere else. Along with writing for this blog I am also a member of the university's dance team. I am obsessed with basketball season and love cheering on the hawks! When I'm not dancing or writing you can usually find me online shopping at Urban Outfitters, eating Doritos, or stalking Kylie Jenner's Instagram.
My name is Taylor Rizzolino, I am a student at Saint Joseph's University studying both English and Leadership, Ethics, and Organizational Sustainability. I am one of the founders of HerCampus SJU! I couldn't be more excited about this blog! I love Hawk Hill and all it has to offer students! I have spent the past two years volunteering on behalf of Saint Joe's, on the dance team at SJU and on The Hawk staff as a news writer. I love engaging audiences via social media and I hope to give all collegiates a well-rounded perspective of SJU through this blog ...with a lot of style and girl talk along the way! xo