Love Your Melon comes to SJU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Love Your Melon is an organization founded and run by college students on the mission of improving the lives of children battling cancer. Our very own SJU Junior, IHS major Jenn Adelizzi has brought ‘Love Your Melon’ to campus. I talked to Jenn a little bit about how Love Your Melon will become a part of campus. She’s worked very hard to become an ambassoder for LYM on campus and wants student’s to know what’s up.

HC: Why did you get involved with love your melon?

Jenn: I had first heard of Love Your Melon through seeing their Instagram on the popular page of Instagram.  I had a best friend who passed away from cancer, so I knew that this was something I would be passionate about and something I needed to become a part of. I also knew this would also be an organization that would really be able to thrive at SJU.

Jenn pictured right, with her best friend Alex who recently passed away from Cancer.

HC: How do you see this organization gaining steam on campus?

Jenn: Cancer is something that almost everyone is able to relate to, whether they know someone who has been diagnosed or they have been diagnosed themselves. Love Your Melon is such a great organization that is able to help out so many young children with cancer. 

HC: Who are the main ambassadors or advisors?

Jen: We have reached our max limit of the number of ambassadors to be able to have in a campus crew, but we are always willing to have people to just help us out once we start events on campus!

HC: How would you like students to get involved then?

Jenn: Starting in the next school year, our SJU Love Your Melon campus crew will begin selling hats and shirts on campus and organizing different events on campus, which anyone can participate in! For every hat purchased, an identical hat will be given to a child who is going through treatment. 

Love your Melon ambassador giveaways

HC: What are you doing now to get the organization on campus? 

Jenn: To become “accredited” we must get people to buy 100 items from LoveYourMelon.com through the SJU tab on the website. Once this happens we are able to have events on campus, sell hats and shirts on campus, and hold events at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. We currently have 17 ambassadors in our campus crew who are all very passionate about getting this started on campus!

Thanks Jenn, you are making the SJU community proud!

Love Your Melon was founded in an entrepreneurship class at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota by two friends, Zach and Brian. On a mission to improve the lives of children battling cancer since October 22nd, 2012, it was founded on the simple concept of putting a hat on every child battling cancer in America. On December 23rd, 2013, the organization received 501(c)(3) status and is an established nonprofit. Through its Buy One—Give One program, for every hat sold, another identical hat is given to a child battling cancer. These hats make children feel comfortable and warm, giving them confidence after losing their hair due to chemotherapy. Through funding through this program, the Love Your Melon Foundation provides therapeutic entertainment and comfy hats to children going through cancer treatments. The St. Joseph’s University Campus Crew will be selling hats, spreading our mission around our campus, and hosting donation events at the Philadelphia Children’s Hospital. To support us, please select St. Joseph’s University Campus Crew in the cart when purchasing a hat through the Love Your Melon online store. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and Twitter! @SJULYMcrew

Also don’t forget to check out the main website at www.loveyourmelon.com