A Letter To My Freshman Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Dear Freshman Annie,

It’s really hard to imagine that three years have gone by since your freshman move in. Along the way, you’ve made friends that are now family, explored a new city and campus, gotten into a little trouble here and there, and maybe even grown up. Now you’re a senior, and the real world is out there waiting for you. It’s scary, the future is unknown, but you have to remember the possibilities are endless. Here a few things you should know:

1. You are going to meet people in the strangest and funniest ways.

By the time you’re my age, you are going to have an incredible group of people by your side. Some you met in group projects, frat basements, or simply because they came up to you after class and introduced themselves to you. Regardless, you are going to have a lot of good stories to tell of how you met your friends. Embrace it and count your blessings for those people.

2. Being homesick is natural…even as a senior.

Missing hugs from mom and dad, laughing with your sister, eating home cooked meals, running around New York City with your best friends, or blasting country music from the speakers of your car are among only a few of the aspects of home that you’ll miss the most. But don’t worry, they’re all waiting all home for you and they’re not going anywhere. Also side note, don’t forget to thank Mom and Dad along the way. It’s always nice to hear and they’ll appreciate it.

3. It’s never too early to network.

It’s so awkward, believe me I know. Randomly talking to strangers about yourself? No thanks. But shaking hands, smiling, and introducing yourself to people who can help you out down the road is one of the best things you can do for yourself in the long run. Be proud of who you are and what your have to offer.

4. MAKE. MONEY.

I can’t stress this one enough. You will be broke. For four years. It’s not fun. And when you turn 21, you will REALLY be broke. Take on any kind of job, it will totally be worth it. And it will definitely help you prioritize the important stuff and you’ll have a better understanding of time management.

5. Work hard, play hard.

Partying on the weekends is so fun, don’t get me wrong, but don’t forget why you’re there. School is your priority. If you have a test or paper due the next day that you haven’t touched/started studying for yet, sorry but there will be another party next weekend. And it probably won’t be much different than the one you’re missing this weekend.

6. Take time for yourself.

Take an hour to detox and do something that makes you happy at least once a day. Go on that run/go to the gym, listen to music for an hour or so, watch Netflix in your bed, just do whatever makes you happy at least once a day. I promise it will be worth it in the long run.

7. Say yes to every opportunity that presents itself to you.

You never know what one opportunity could lead you to. New internship offer? If it fits in your schedule, go for it. New friend invites you to go out with their friends? Go with them, that friend could end up being your roommate one day! 

8. These years are going to FLY.

You’ve heard it from so many people. “These are going to be the best years of your life”, “Don’t take anything for granted”, “Try new things” are among a few of the things you’ve been told. And boy were they right. When I say they fly, you could honestly blink and miss them. One semester turns into a year, then it turns into your college career. Don’t take this time for granted. Get good grades, make friends with as many people as you can, and don’t let these four years slip from your fingers. Because soon one day you are going to wake up and realize its senior year and wish you could have it all back.

To my SJU crew, thank you for an incredible three years. Let’s make this last one ours. I love you all. :)

Love always,

Senior Annie

Senior communications major at Saint Joseph's University with a passion for music and sports Philadelphia / New York City