Wellness > Health

How to Get Over Fear of Going to the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

You just got to college and you really want to go work out, but you’re scared to go to the gym. All those people looking at you, you might see someone you know, you’re afraid you’re going to look like you don’t know what you’re doing…I’ve been there! 

But, now I go to the gym almost everyday and I don’t even think twice about it. Here’s my tips on how to get over being scared to go to the gym.

1. Remember why you’re going

Ask yourself why you’re going to the gym. You’re going for you. You’re going to better yourself. You’re not there to impress anyone else. You are there to work on yourself so you should just focus on that. Go and do what you need to do and pretend no one else is there. You’re there for you and only you.

2. Everyone else is there for the same reasons

Everyone goes to the gym to better themselves. Just like you’re focused on you, so is everyone else. Even though it feels like everyone is looking at you, they’re not. And if anyone is looking at you, you’ll probably never see them again and who cares what they think?

3. Have a plan

Make a little plan in your head of what you want to do at the gym. Maybe even write it down in the notes of your phone. That way you know exactly what you need to do, and all you have to do is show up and do it!

4. Wear a hat

Wearing a hat to the gym helps you feel like you’re in your own zone. It makes it so that you can’t see everyone around you and you’re just focused on what you are doing. 10/10 recommend. 

5. Make the best playlist ever

I make a new playlist for pretty much every workout. Music helps me to power through. It makes me forget that I’m even at the gym and helps me to just get in my zone and go. 

6. Honestly, you just have to go

To be completely honest with you, you kind of just have to do it. If you want to go to the gym, do it. It’ll be a little scary at first, but after a couple times it won’t be scary at all. Just keep going until it doesn’t scare you anymore and I promise one day it won’t. 

HCXO,

Faith 

Faith Prince- SJU
Saint Joseph's University Campus Correspondent