The Holy Race 5K: Julia Cautela and Kara Galena

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Meet Kara Galena and Julia Cautela, two juniors who are the co-presidents of Club Running! These two lovely runners have been diligently working on creating The Holy Race 5K in support of The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Here’s all you need to know about their participation in Club Running, The Holy Race 5K, and how you can sign up:

HC: What do you do on campus?

JC: AOII, Club Running, and Biodiversity Lab.

KG: Club Running President, Sigma Zeta Fundraising Chair, Biology Club, and Chemistry TA.

HC: What does Club Running do?

JC: Club Running is a club sport for people who enjoy running but don’t want to compete at the varisty level.

KG: Club Running is a club team on campus dedicated to student runners of all speeds and distances. It is a great way to meet new people, run with others, and train for events. We hold practices each week day as well as long runs on weekends. We participate in a variety of races as a team including the Kinney 5K and Philadelphia Half Marathon. It is a great way to get outside and put some miles under your feet!

HC: Why do you enjoy Club Running?

JC: I’ve always loved running. The club has been a great way to stay active, explore new running routes around campus, and meet new people.

KG: I started with club running my freshmen year as a way to get to know the running routes and meet new people. My first practice I actually attended was with Julia and now we are presidents and roommates. We are proof that the friendships you make on the team are built to last! I kept coming back because I loved running with a team. It definitely kept me motivated to train and push myself. Before club running, I only would run 5Ks and now I have done a half marathon and five 10 mile races.

HC: What made you want to organize a 5K?

JC: The club has been wanting to organize a race on campus for a while. We figured a 5K with Villanova was a great way to put our school’s spirit to the test!

KG: We wanted to organize a 5K because it is a great way to help others! Our club team wanted to make a difference in the only way we knew how, running. Our 5K is called “The Holy Race” (a play off the Holy War) as we partnered with Villanova’s club running team as well. The goal is to use SJU’s amazing school spirit, and rivalry with NOVA, to help us donate to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. 

HC: Can you explain the purpose of your 5K?

JC: All proceeds from the Holy Race benefit CHOP. By partnering with Villanova, we’re bringing an element of competition to the 5K in hopes that we’ll be able to raise as much money as possible for this awesome organization!

HC: Why did you decide to partner with CHOP?

JC: CHOP is one of the top children’s hospitals in the country. The work they do for children and their families is absolutely phenomenal and we wanted to give back to an organization which touches so many people’s lives.

The 5K is on April 22nd at 8:30 AM. It costs $15 dollars for race entry and a T shirt. All the proceeds go directly to CHOP! The best way to sign up is through the registration link or by stopping at our table outside Campion every Thursday during free period! 

https://epay.sju.edu/C21318_ustores/web/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCTID=2285&SINGLESTORE=true

HCXO,

Mary