Hawk Hysteria: Why you Need to Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

There is one thing particularly special to Hawk Hill that the cold weather brings: basketball season. Basketball is what Saint Joseph’s is known for, and as a campus community it is embraced as a culture. The kick-off to basketball season here at SJU is known as Hawk Hysteria, and it is a must-go-to event of October.  

For any of you who may be college basketball enthusiasts you probably already know about midnight madness. However, for those of you who don’t, here you go:The NCAA sets a date for when college basketball teams are officially allowed to begin practicing for the upcoming season. Hawk Hysteria is a Friday night event that marks the beginning of the official seasons for both the men’s and women’s teams. It gives the student body a chance to see and start to recognize the basketball players, and let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to know the basketball players? They are basically like local celebrities here on Hawk Hill.

Coming off an overall record of 18-14, and 8-8 within the A-10 from the 2012-2013 season, the men’s team is looking to “turn up the tempo” of their game this season. Things are looking bright for the boys this year, between the senior powerhouse trio of Langston Galloway, Ronald Roberts, and Halil Kanacevic. (A recent ranking of 5th overall in the A-10) Their home opener is Saturday November 13 against Marist. Mark your calendars.

With a 2012-2013 overall record of 23-8 and an A-10 record of 11-3, the women’s basketball team is the team to beat this year. The women’s team is definitely one of the most hardworking teams at this school, and that was proven last season when they came out as A-10 champions. Be sure to catch their home opener and start to an exciting season on Friday, November 8 against Mount St. Mary’s. Her Campus SJU is sponsoring the game with Hawk Women, so make sure you come with your friends to start the season off right!

Along with the basketball teams, Hawk Hysteria also marks the debut performances of SJU’s spirit squads in front of the school. Both the dance and cheerleading teams will be performing. The dance team is more than ready to take on the 2013-2014 season. The team is currently ranked third in the nation, and is looking to improve even more this year. The cheerleaders have been working just as hard to prepare for the upcoming basketball season, and for their own national season. They have been stepping up the intensity in practices, and perfecting new stunts. They too cannot wait for basketball season to get underway.

Hawk Hysteria and basketball season in general are about something much more to the Saint Joe’s community than records, stats, and rankings. The tradition behind Saint Joseph’s basketball is something that dates back decades, and despite how small of a school SJU may be, when you tell someone you go here, 9 times out of 10 one of the first things they mention is basketball. For those of you who have yet to experience an SJU basketball game, Hawk Hysteria will give you a small taste of what Sports Illustrated has called, “one of the most vicious student sections in the country”. You will finally learn what it feels like to shout “The Hawk Will Never Die” at the top of your lungs in the middle of the student section. It is a moment you will never forget.

My name is Paige Kacmar, I am a marketing major at Saint Joseph's University. I am so excited to be part of the HerCampus SJU team. I love every little thing about Saint Joe's and could not imagine myself spending these four years anywhere else. Along with writing for this blog I am also a member of the university's dance team. I am obsessed with basketball season and love cheering on the hawks! When I'm not dancing or writing you can usually find me online shopping at Urban Outfitters, eating Doritos, or stalking Kylie Jenner's Instagram.