This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Running and I have always had a love/hate relationship. Some days, I’ll jump straight out of my skin if I don’t get my run in. But other days, I’ll literally clean my entire house to avoid that insufferable cardio. After years of falling in and out of love, I’ve come away with much more than a quality workout. Whether I go for a run to ease some frustration or to just enjoy the day, I feel like I come back with more insight than I started with. These are some of the lessons running has taught me over the years:

We’re Ruining Our Futures By Worrying About the Past

I have spent so many runs thinking about all of my past mistakes and shortcomings. Unfortunately, it’s one of the places my mind wanders, too. By the time I get back in from my run, I’m a mess of nerves, the exact opposite of what I wanted to accomplish. I needed to learn to focus on the now; what my life is, not what it may have been. I tried to zero in on concrete images I saw during my runs; the tacky lawn gnomes, the dented Mercedes, the mildly vicious Yorkie who (thank goodness) had an Invisible Fence collar. Contemplating the things I encountered kept my mind geared to the future as well; I thought about my goals and plans rather than my past failings. When I got home, I was met with a wave of determination; no self-doubt to be found.

The Universe Doesn’t Care You’re Having A Bad Hair Day

In the moment, issues like getting a “C” on a paper or that dumb boy not texting you back seem world shattering. You wonder were to go from here, because it’s hard to come to terms with your stressors. But I’ll share a secret with you; the world hasn’t ended. The Earth remains on its path around the sun. Taking a step back, looking at the broader scope of life, can help put everything into perspective. Don’t get me wrong, you are allowed to be mad about little things. Your feelings should not have to be validated by someone else. But don’t let that frustration take over your life. You’ve got plenty more go-arounds on this planet to get it right (and wrong again, because that’s life).

Take Time For Yourself

Shockingly enough, some of the most relaxing moments of my life were had while my pulse was spiked. There’s a special catharsis in lacing up your sneakers and just taking off (especially during the fall—I feel like I’m running through a movie scene).  You get an allotted amount of time to just be alone and focus on yourself. This doesn’t have to be in the form of a run either. Our lives are so caught up in what we need to do for school and work, that we forget what we need to do for ourselves. It can take a toll on our psyche. So whether it’s carving out an hour of time to start that book all of your friends recommended, or to people watch in a café, your body needs it. The power of “Me Time” is immeasurable.

No Amount of Kindness Is Too Small

On one of my runs through the park, I watched as a little girl approach an older man, her hands outstretched. At first I thought maybe he was her grandfather. She handed this man a bouquet of dandelions she had just picked, then waved, and returned back to her mother. This man’s face lit up like a 4th of July sky. He cradled the flowers in his hand like they were the keys to a new Ferrari. Kindness doesn’t have to cost a thing, and is not mutually exclusive for those we know. There is no minimum for making a difference in someone’s day.

Only You Can Set Your Limits

When I first started running, I’d run for a little and then convince myself that I was too tired and needed to walk for a minute or so. I totally could have gone further, but I wasn’t confident in my own abilities to do so. One day I promised myself I would just go; no stopping, no thinking, only running. I ran nearly four miles before I took a breather. I realized that my constant limits on myself were holding me back from my full potential. I needed to clear that little voice in my head that said, “you can’t”, and just do. No one was telling me that I couldn’t run this type of mileage but me—and in the end, I had to prove myself wrong and shut myself up.

These little everyday epiphanies are all around us. We can find them in calm of the third floor of the library, or in the miles we put behind us. It’s now how we stumble upon them that matters, it’s how we chose to live once we realize them. 

Hi internet friends! My name is Cristiana and I'm a senior English major, Communications minor from New Rochelle, New York. I've had a passion for writing before I could walk and am so excited to be sharing that with you all. My goal is to not only entertain and bring humor into the magazine world, but to also empower women and raise awareness of the social and cultural issues we face. I'm an astronomy lover and a cheese enthusiast, as well as constantly hooked up to an IV of caffeine. Ask me about baseball teams. Enjoy my sass and love of carbs? Follow me on Twitter for an endless supply; @doublecee21