Finals Week as Told By Kevin McCallister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Once the last slice of pumpkin pie is gone and the Black Friday madness has passed, it’s time for the holiday festivities to commence. That’s right. That means ugly Christmas sweaters, jingle jams, and copious amounts of cookies. The most wonderful time of the year, however, is the most awful time of the year for students. Amidst the evergreen trees and twinkling lights is the ghost of Christmas’s past known as finals week. While the emotional roller coaster of the semesters last week is a feat, it’s important that you know you are not alone in these common study struggles.

1. The Monday after Thanksgiving break was by far the worst Monday on the calendar; you had one group project, three exams, four papers, and a partridge in a pear tree awaiting your return on Hawk Hill. And you still have a turkey hangover.
  2. You realize you’ve only read one of Shakespeare’s plays and that was in high school. To be or not to be…a college drop out. 
  3. It’s reading day. Between MRT and club lib, which do you choose?
  4. You choose club lib, you good student, you! Unfortunately, there is nowhere for you to sit. It’s like those people that only go to church once a year on Christmas. You choose a corner on the floor between the bookshelves and start that paper.
  5. After forty-one false starts on that paper, you choose vodka sours over studying and vow to camp out the next morning to get a clover table.
  6. You spend all of the next day in the library. Sleep? What’s that? A foreign concept.
  7. Social interaction is limited to a few words which are, “I’ll have a vanilla latte with three espresso shots, two pumps of caramel, and add another shot while you’re at it because I’ll sleep when I’m dead.”
  8. But you’re sleep deprived, so the magic expresso bean only makes your heart rate increase while you sit motionless in your grave, I mean seat.
  9. Stress eating…it’s your new hobby. Netflix…well it’s always good to have more than one hobby. 
  10. More studying. You have lost your sanity at this point.
  11. EXAM DAY! You have five minutes to get to your 8am.
  12. The first question on your exam isn’t even English. Well, when it doubt, pick C! 
  13. One of your exams is open notes. 
  14. You FINALLY finish your last exam and exchange pleasantries with your professor.

You’ve made it, my friend. Throw everything in a suitcase and head home for the holidays. You deserve to get everything on your wish list, including that chocolate lab puppy you’ll name Ollie and love forever.

HCXO,

Kelly