This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Here’s a look at some of the new books we can’t wait to add to our shelves this Fall!

1. Red at the Bone – Jacqueline Woodson, September 17th

From the award winning author of Brown Girl Dreaming, comes the story of a girl named Melody and essentially how she came to be. This novel follows Melody’s mother, who had her at 16, her family, and how the decisions we make can change the course of our lives instantaneously. Dealing with topics such as education, class, gentrification, identity, and many more, Woodson has gone above and beyond with a story about a family of color and the challenges they face during the 1980’s in Brooklyn. 

2.) The Institute – Steven King, September 10th

The literal King of Thrillers is back just in time for spoopy season and giving me   hella Stranger Things vibes. The Institute is a novel in which kid with supernatural powers are being kidnapped and having their powers extracted. We follow Luke, who’s parents have just been murdered so that he could be taken to the Institute. Luke and the other kids he meets along the way are determined to escape this horrific place, but no one ever escapes the Institute. 

3.)  The Testaments – Margaret Atwood, September 10th

Calling all Handmaid’s Tale lovers! After many(many…) years, Margaret Atwood is publishing the sequel to The Handmaid’s Tale. If you haven’t already read this book(or seen the Hulu original series), this book takes place in a dystopian society where women serve as a means of reproduction. The Testaments is set 15 years after the final scene of The Handmaid’s Tale and follows the perspective of three characters, Aunt Lydia, Agnes, and Daisy. If you’re a die-hard feminist fiction lover or just a fan of bad-ass women resiting the patriarchy, then this book(or series) is for you!

4.) Ninth House – Leigh Bardugo, October 8th

Leigh Bardugo, fantasy-magical Queen is releasing her first ever Adult fantasy novel. The first in its series, Ninth House will follow Alex Stern, a 20 year old who is given a freak opportunity to go to Yale on a full ride. When she arrives, she’s given a job monitoring Yale’s secret societies and discovers just how sinister things can get in New Haven. This is just the spoopy type of book I need for this fall season, and I couldn’t be more excited to see what this Grishaverse creator has whipped up. 

5.) The Fountains of Silence – Ruta Sepetys, October 22nd

From the author of the beloved Historical Fiction novels, Salt to the Sea and Between Shades of Grey, comes a novel about the Spanish Civil War. Now, I’ll be the first to admit that war stories aren’t my jam, but this book looks absolutely amazing. With Sepetys lyrical writing and loveable characters, this story is bound to be a favorite. The Fountains of Silence follows the love story of Daniel and Ana as they’re growing up in the background of a facsist dictatorship. 

HCXO,

Tayler

Political Science and English double major, Macaroni & Cheese enthusiast, and book shopping connoisseur. Probably somewhere writing a paper...
Saint Joseph's University Campus Correspondent