Fall Forward with Summer Staples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

With each sighting of a SJU collegiette sipping a delicious pumpkin spice latte, one can tell autumn has fallen quickly upon Hawk Hill. But just because the temperature has dropped, doesn’t mean we have to put away those high wasted shorts just yet. Learn here how to transition your summer style into fall fashion.

Not quite ready to pack away your favorite maxi dress? Or maybe you just got it on sale and haven’t had a chance to wear it yet? No problem! There’s no one stopping you from wearing it on a crisp fall day. Take your versatile dress and pair it with a cute fitted cardigan and a thin belt to create a flattering shape. For fall, layers are your best friend. Just be sure not to over-do it; “more” doesn’t necessarily make it better. Finish your look with a feminine necklace and a cute pair of dainty earrings and you’ll have heads turning.

Any true fashionista knows that the age old fashion rule “No White After Labor Day” is one trend we can toss away.  Glamour Magazine stated that one of the best trends of New York Fashion Week 2013 was “Winter White” because the color is “easy to assemble and season spanning.” One of my favorite trends this fall is perfectly pairing white denim with tall leather boots. Swap out your strappy feminine wedges for a pair of fabulous tall boots and you’re stunning. Take your pastel tank top, layer it with a cute fall neutral, and you’re ready for this perfect cooler weather (As seen below on Nora) Time to polish off you look with a cute accessory. I love the addition of a cute cross-body purse to tie your look together. 

I absolutely love the transition between summer and fall; it’s not too cold to wear your favorite pieces and create an entirely new outfit. You can easily refresh your look with a few staple pieces that you already have in your closet. Don’t be afraid to keep lighter pieces in your wardrobe, but cleverly pair them with fall neutrals and make light layers your best friend.

Kiera is a junior at Saint Joseph's University studying Communications. She hopes to be a wedding planner one day but currently enjoys traveling, crafts, and reading fashion magazines on the beach. She loves getting involved on campus and within her sorority, Alpha Phi.