Emma Watson Tackles the Definition of Feminism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

From Hogwarts to Brown, Emma Watson has become a fresh face to the UN as a Women Goodwill Ambassador. Her most recent step in her mission as an ambassador was presenting a speech on her view of feminism to the UN. Rocking a belted white coatdress to the UN Women’s HeForShe campaign in New York, Emma’s sophistication and grace stunned the crowd well before she delivered her speech. HeForShe is a new campaign that the UN Women lead. This campaign reaches out to men, and it encourages them to address inequalities that both girls and women face every day.

A strong advocate for women’s rights since she was a young girl, Emma poured her heart and soul into the speech, Emma discussed this important topic and how she developed her view on it. It all started when she was a little girl, and how she wanted to direct plays at school. Emma was told she was “bossy” because she wanted to be in charge, but boys were easily allowed to fulfill the same role without any criticism. Feminism should not have a negative connotation, and those who are feminists should take pride in it.

Her speech was refreshingly gender neutral. Emma insisted that both men and women be present for the fight for gender equality. HeForShe is allowing men to voice their opinions and stand up for these women. Gender inequality is just as much a man’s problem as it is a woman’s. Emma simply put it, “Men — I would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation. Gender equality is your issue, too.”

Not only had Emma captivated the audience by the first few minutes of her speech, but she also concluded just as strong. She cares a lot about this topic, and Emma knew that she was responsible for giving a speech on a cause she loved. She closed her speech and launched the HeForShe campaign by saying, “If not me, who? If not now, when?” Emma invited everyone all over the world to take part in this movement and participate in HeForShe.

In response to her speech, many celebrities applauded Emma via social networking sites, such as Twitter and Instagram. Celebs, such as Harry Styles and Russell Crowe, tweeted at Emma to express their support in the HeForShe campaign. Some held up signs with the hashtag #HeForShe, while others praised Emma for being such an inspirational young woman. 

If you haven’t checked out Emma Watson’s speech regarding HeForShe, I highly recommend it. See what all the hype is about, and check out how a 12-minute speech has captured both the attention and realization of men and women around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkjW9PZBRfk

HCXO,

Alex  

I'm Alex Ator!Saint Joseph's University Class of 2017Biology Major, Political Science Minor