This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

For over 100 years, Condé Nast has been the forefront of the publishing industry, creating and acquiring titles in all categories of life such as fashion, food, travel, and more. Popularly known for Vogue, Condé Nast is the proprietor of other magazines such as GQ, Vanity Fair, and Glamour. It is the first publishing company to expand internationally, starting with British Vogue in 1916 and ending with Condé Nast India in 2007.

In a world where Toys-R-Us and Blockbuster have seen their final days more frequently due to digital suppression, print publication must evolve or fade away. Condé Nast is colossal, but that does not ensure their safety in our modern era. We need to have faith that if any publication can survive the print apocalypse, it would be Condé Nast; however, I’m not too sure if this is the case anymore.

Last January, Glamour magazine hired a digital journalist, Samantha Barry, as Glamour’s top editor. In an interview, she alluded to the magazine’s new direction. Barry said, “Glamour is a brand — it’s not just a magazine.”

In more recent news, Glamour’s last regular print edition is set for the month of January besides occasional special issues such as Women of the Year. Barry is fully moving Glamour’s platform to their website and social media since this is where their audience is.

The New York Times interviewed Anna Wintour, Editor-in-Chief of Vogue magazine in New York City, and she is thrilled with Samantha Barry’s plan for Glamour. Wintour has stated, “she’ll be reaching the title’s loyal readers on the digital and social platforms they use most, while using the power of print to highlight tentpole moments like Women of the Year.”

Glamour has 6.3 million digital readers and 1.6 million YouTube subscribers while only having 2.2 million magazine subscribers. According to the New York Times, “a company that was known for its lavish offices and generous pay packages” now owns 17 floors at its headquarters at 1 World Trade Center instead of 23 floors. Condé Nast also cut Teen Vogue and Self print editions, while Hearst Magazines plans to decrease Seventeen magazine’s presence in print media.

Technology is a quick and convenient choice over print, but it’s sad to see these publications dwindle. While gargantuan titles such as Glamour and Teen Vogue meet their printing ends, there’s still hope in the non-digital world as we see a rise in independent magazines. There are writers and editors who have a passion for print, and hopefully big businesses take note of the youthful, small businesses’ courage and pride.