Celebrate the real you with ‘aerie Real’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

BREAKING: The real you is sexy!

Earlier this month aerie, American Eagle Outfitters sister line of intimates, launched “aerie Real” a spring 2014 ad campaign that challenges every standard of women in the media. From magazine ads to viral videos, aerie has vowed to leave all images untouched and Photoshop-free. Breaking away from the industry norm of showcasing every style of bra on the same tall, skinny, B-cup model, arie has even created a new online bra guide that features images of different women wearing each style of bra in cup sizes from A to DD. 

The goal, said Dana Seguin, the director of marketing for aerie, is to help shoppers see what the clothing might look like on them, even if they don’t look like a typical lingere model. It’s about time.  

It doesn’t come as much of a surprise that even without Photoshop, the models look INCREDIBLE! Why? Because they look like themselves. They look real

Clad only in the sexiest bras and tiniest undies, aeries untouched models look just like you and me, with imperfections, flaws, and unique beauty. They have extra skin under their arms, and tummies that are not rock solid. They have hair that’s out of place and not perfectly smooth and radiant skin that looks alive, rather than digitally produced. These are the kinds of images, produced by media, that should be filling our heads. It’s about time we start to celebrate, show off and love our real selves. 

But we don’t need an ad campaign to tell us that……..right? 

Wrong. Approximately 91% of all women are unhappy with their bodies and resort to obsessive dieting to achieve the “perfect” body image. 81% of 10-year-old girls are afraid of being fat. 58% of collegiate women feel pressured to maintain a certain weight. And sadly (as if those stats aren’t sad enough) only 5% of women naturally possess the body type too often portrayed by media…until now. 

This is what sexy looks like. So throw way the Victoria Secret model clippings that are plastered all over your fridge, and silence the voice in your head who so persistently criticizes every outfit you try on. You do look like a model, a real model. And in my opinion, that’s 10 times better than any VS Angel. 

Still need some encouragement? Here are five healthy (and ridiculously easy) habits you’re probably already doing that will keep you looking beautiful, healthy and most importantly, REAL:

1. Walk to class. Forget the shuttle and hit the sidewalk
  2. Moisturize everywhere. Your skin will thank you
  3. Drink more water. Nothing feels as refreshing as ice-cold water (or tea!) with a squeeze of lemon 
  4. Rest your eyes. Whoever said you can sleep when you’re dead, clearly never enrolled in an 8AM class
  5. Be happy, stay positive. There’s nothing quite like a contagious smile

Celebrate the real you on Twitter and Instagram using #aerieReal and be a part of this revolutionary campaign. 

My name is Annie Lagasse and although it's hard to admit, I am a senior at St. Joseph's University. Studying communications and marketing, over the last 3 years I've found a very special place in my heart for Hawk Hill. I grew up in a small town called Simsbury CT, with my two older brothers, my mom (who doubles as my best friend) and my wonderful father. Although I was blessed to grow up among the local farms, cow pastures and homemade ice cream stands of Simsbury, after 18 years it was time to branch out. While I'm still adapting to the big city and learning to love water ice and soft pretzels, I have certainly found a home in Philadelphia.