Campus Celebs: Appalachia Coordinators

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

This week I have the privilege of presenting not one but three SJU Campus Celebrities: Caroline Russell, Nicole Scalfaro, and Becca Wheeler. These three seniors are the Appalachia coordinators, so they’re in charge of the spring break immersion program known as APEX. This program has been sending students to volunteer in the Appalachian region for over 23 years, but this year registration was filled at a record speed (under five hours!). Let’s meet the girls behind it all:

Caroline Russell ’16 is an Elementary and Special Education double major from Boston, MA. She is also involved in club soccer and has been an orientation leader. Nicole Scalfaro ’16 is an English and Secondary Education double major from Glenside, PA, who is also involved in the Booster Club. Becca Wheeler ’16 is a Business Intelligence and LEO double major from Syracuse, NY. She is also involved with Big Brothers and Sisters and Relay For Life. These busy gals found time to chat with me about their past APEX experiences, what they’re looking forward to this spring, and why everyone should experience APEX at least once.

Her Campus: Why did you get involved with APEX?

Nicole Scalfaro: Freshman year I heard about it at orientation, everyone was raving about it. I’ve been involved ever since.

Becca Wheeler: Same!

Caroline Russell: Same!

HC: What has been your favorite experience with APEX?

NS: Being able to lead for the first time as a junior last year. I liked Robbins Tennessee so it was cool to be able to make the experience my own and delve deeper into it.

BW: I really liked leading the West Jefferson, NC trip!

CR: This year getting to do a lot of the behind-the-scenes work and of course working with Becca and Nicole!

HC: Why did you become an Appalachia Coordinator?

NS: APEX has always been my favorite thing to be involved with on campus, and I’ve become more passionate about it each year. I wanted to be as active as possible in something I love so much; it’s really a privilege.

BW: It’s a program I’m very passionate about, and I wanted to make it even better by doing the behind-the-scenes work and paying attention to even the tiniest details that usually get overlooked.

CR: I believed that being able to give back even a small portion of what this program has given to me would be a great way to finish out senior year.

HC: What was your reaction to the overwhelming response to the APEX trip this year? Why do you think it filled up so quickly?

NS: It was a proud moment for us as coordinators to know that we are coming into an excited group of participants and that we are making positive changes to the program.

BW: We spent weeks beforehand overdoing social media. We created an Instagram and a Facebook page for APEX. We really tried to get the information out there and promote it really well to allow students to make the decision in advance. Everyone was so shocked at how quick registration filled up, and it was the most rewarding feeling telling the leaders that night that the trip was full. Usually it takes weeks, but it only took four hours to fill up this year!

CR: It was so great to know that it filled up so quickly and that people were so excited about it.

HC: What are you looking forward to most this time around?

NS: Since it’s my second year leading I’ll be able to look back at what worked on the last trip and do that again, and also realize what needed improvement and fix it.

BW: For us as seniors it’s a sad trip because the experience is ending but it also gives us more motivation to make it the best yet. I’m excited for my co partner because I’m going to be laughing the whole week. It’s sad but happy.

CR: I’ll be more apt to take in those little APEX moments that are just magical and enjoy them as much as I can.

HC: What is your advice to someone going on APEX for the first time?

NS: Go into it with no expectations and don’t try to compare your trip with others. The beauty of APEX is that every trip is unique.

BW: Be open to new adventures and friendships, the best things happen unexpectedly.

CR: Don’t be nervous. Everyone has that nervous feeling but it all works out and everyone ends up loving their trip.

HC: Do you have anything else you’d like to tell Her Campus SJU readers about APEX?

NS: APEX is really special and it says something about SJU that everyone is so passionate about a service trip. Everyone should experience it at least once.

BW: Everyone at SJU should go on at least one APEX trip. Whether you love it or hate it, it’s a quintessential thing to SJU. Other schools do have it but it is just an essential aspect to the SJU culture.

CR: It’s just nice to be part of a community that’s as passionate about service as we are.

Seems like those going on APEX this year are in for an amazing experience, mostly thanks to these three dedicated girls who’ve been working so hard behind the scenes!

HCXO,

Franki