Campus Celebrity: Timmy Parks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is one of the most involved people I have ever had the pleasure of talking with at SJU. You can find him at Smithson Field practicing with the club baseball team, with DSP, or serving the community with his weekly service group. This upcoming winter you can also catch him in Hagan arena flapping his wings during every basketball game as the 2015-2016 Hawk. Meet Timmy Parks, a junior from Wilmington, Delaware.

Major:

Accounting

Describe yourself in 3 words:

Enthusiastic, Hard-working, Fun-loving

HC: Why did you choose SJU?

TP: My dad is a proud Hawk class of 1985, so when I was growing up I raised a Hawk fan and always wanted to go to SJU.  He took me to my first basketball game before I even turned a year old. When I was in first grade, my dad and I listened to Coach Martelli’s Hawk Talk radio show.  I started calling up Coach each week with questions each week and became known to the SJU community as “Timmy from Wilmington.” My dad and I continued to attend games each year, and we were able to see Jameer Nelson and the 2003-2004 Hawks play in the Elite Eight game as well as the NIT Championship in Madison Square Garden the following year. 

SJU was a huge part of my life, so when it came time to make the decision of which school to go to, my mind was already set. 

In case anyone wants to see, this is a video I made last year to go along with my application for the Hawk position that showcases my Hawk pride over time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmTeXEkqeX4

HC: What else are you involved in on campus besides being the Hawk?

TP: I am very heavily involved as a brother and an exec board member in Delta Sigma Pi, the co-ed professional business fraternity.  I also play on the club baseball team and am very involved within campus rec.  In the past I have participated in Weekly Service and Appalachia (Deerlodge 2015!).  And of course I can’t forget my wonderful Koinonia group!

Timmy with some of his DSP brothers.

HC: What made you interested in becoming the Hawk?

TP: I think my upbringing as a Hawks fan really got me interested in being the Hawk.  By age 7-8, this was my goal and it never changed, so I guess here I am now.  I think being the Hawk is my way at being a part of the basketball program I love and have loved ever since I was little, because my basketball playing career ended around the 8th grade.  I love the tradition and carrying it on has and will be a complete honor. 

HC: Can you give us a quick overview of what your responsibilities have been thus far as the Hawk?

TP: I serve two roles: as the mascot, and also as a head manager for the men’s basketball team.  As a manager, I attend each practice along with senior manager Claire Higgins and other underclassman managers and we make sure practice runs smoothly.  Before practice starts, we set up the gym with all the equipment and water and during practice we do whatever the players and coaching staff need.  I spend a lot of time rebounding and helping out in drills.  Probably the most interesting or funny thing I have been asked to do is to shoot the basketball and miss on purpose…. It wasn’t hard with the basketball skills I posses.  After practice we break everything down and clean up.

As the actual Hawk mascot, I will be flapping for all of the men’s basketball games, home and road.  Fun fact for anyone who doesn’t know, the Hawk is the only mascot in the country that travels on the road.  Besides the games, I also do numerous outside appearances.  So far I have done weddings, parties, funerals, yes…funerals, and charity events.  Probably the coolest event was being the Hawk as President Reed threw out the first pitch at the Phillies game.  

Timmy and the SJU Club Baseball team when they won their division last year.

HC: What are you looking forward to the most about your first upcoming official season as the Hawk?

TP: I think the thing I am most looking forward to this season is the basketball season.  I can’t wait to be right behind the bench for all the games and carry on the 60 year tradition. 

HC: Are you nervous about anything?

TP: I wouldn’t necessarily say that there is anything specific that I am nervous about, but I know when November 13th rolls around, I definitely have a lot of butterflies in my stomach getting ready for the season opener vs. Drexel.

Timmy with men’s basketball coach, Phil Martelli.

HC: What advice would you give to someone looking to follow in your foot steps?

TP: The Hawk represents the school as a whole, so I would definitely encourage someone interested to get involved in all aspects that they would like to here.  In my first two years at SJU, I have had some unbelievable experiences that have led me to want to be a leader here on campus and an ambassador for SJU.  The Hawk also is a basketball position, so I also encourage anyone who is interested to get involved with the team as a manager.  My freshman year, I didn’t really know about being a manager, but I got involved last year as an underclassmen manager and worked as many practices as I could.  This got me acquainted with the coaching staff and the team and really helped prepare me for my role now. 

“Thanks for selecting me as Campus Celebrity!”

Be sure to come out to a basketball game this season to see Timmy in action!

HCXO,

Paige

My name is Paige Kacmar, I am a marketing major at Saint Joseph's University. I am so excited to be part of the HerCampus SJU team. I love every little thing about Saint Joe's and could not imagine myself spending these four years anywhere else. Along with writing for this blog I am also a member of the university's dance team. I am obsessed with basketball season and love cheering on the hawks! When I'm not dancing or writing you can usually find me online shopping at Urban Outfitters, eating Doritos, or stalking Kylie Jenner's Instagram.