Campus Celebrity: Myra McCann

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

First off, tell us about yourself. Where are you from? What’s your major? And what year are you?

I am from Ocean City, New Jersey. I am a special and elementary education major with autism minor, and will be graduating this year. Now that’s a scary thought!

I can imagine! So what activities are you involved in on campus?

For the past four years, I have been on the Women’s Varsity Rowing Team.

Wow. That is a huge commitment. What is your favorite part about SJU?

My favorite thing about SJU has to be the atmosphere and the people on campus. Students and the faculty have a way of brightening my day! Actually, one of the reasons I came here was because on my tour I loved that everyone had a smile. Well, that and how beautiful the campus is.

I agree! What would you say is your biggest accomplishment so far?

This past summer I competed in Miss New Jersey. This was an opportunity of a lifetime and something I will never forget! The 22 other girls vying for the title and job of Miss New Jersey became some of the best friends I will ever have. During my preparations to Miss New Jersey, I was able to go into schools to read and speak to students about the importance of inclusion and special needs. The memories I have from this past year are irreplaceable. I am so thankful to have them.

That sounds amazing. So, what do you like to do in your free time?

When I find the time, I love to curl up in bed and read a book. I have always had a love for reading.

Spill. What are two things you can tell us that most people don’t know about you?

I am 100% Irish and have been an Irish Dancer for 15 years! My cousins and I started our lessons when we were 5. I used to compete almost every weekend in the Tri-State area. When I was a freshman in high school I was blessed with the opportunity to dance in Ireland! There are amazing dancers over there.

Another fun fact is that I am an ocean lifeguard. I work in Wildwood on the Beach Patrol during the summer. I mean, come on, how much better could it get? I grew up on the beach and I had always pictured myself, one day, sitting on the lifeguard stand. Some people come from military families or firefighters families. I come from a lifeguard family. I think just about every cousin and uncle I have has been a lifeguard on the Jersey beaches. It is a very physically demanding job and takes a lot of focus all day long. I literally have people’s lives in hands. But, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

That sounds like such a fun job. So tell us, when did you start competing in pageants?

When I was younger, I was as shy as could be! In Ocean City, there is a pageant system for young girls in the summer. My mom put me in this pageant when I was 10 because of the interview phase of competition. She wanted me to break out of my shell. It worked! Pageants were never a huge part of my life until two summers ago when I researched the Miss America Organization. This is the #1 scholarship program for women in America. Not only that, but every contestant promotes her own platform. These are the two things that got me hooked! My platform is called “Making a Special Difference”. With this, I speak to children about the importance of working with children with special needs. My main focus is to stress how much we need volunteers for the sports programs for children with special needs. I have been blessed to work with athletes competing in the Special Olympics, helped children with special needs learn to row, and even crown a king and queen at their prom. The biggest lesson I have learned through this organization is that crown or no crown, I can make a difference in someone’s life. With the help of this organization and the people involved with it, I am promoting a platform that is so near and dear to my heart. And raising some scholarship money along the way as well.

That is seriously incredible. Okay last one, what is the best advice you’ve ever been given?

I don’t know if I can give just one answer for this! I have such a supportive family who are always giving me great advice. I’d have to say, “Whatever’s meant to be, will be.” My mom tells me this all the time. And I have to say, she’s right.

Myra McCann is going to do extraordinary things in the future. Good luck with everything, Myra.

Kaleigh is currently a sophomore at Saint Joseph's University in Philly! Her passions include all things beauty — makeup, hair, skincare... she loves it all! If she could play with and test out makeup and skincare products all day, she'd be one happy camper. Besides being a total beauty junkie, she's also obsessed with fashion, music, writing (of course), and running. This past summer she interned for Lovelyish.com and wrote her heart out about beauty, fashion and more. She dreams of being a beauty editor at a big time magazine such as Seventeen, Glamour, or Cosmo!