This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

I am honored to introduce our newest campus celeb, Catherine Jones, better known as Cat. Not only is she adventurous, but she is a very loving and genuine person. With a big smile that seems to be fixated permanently on her face, Cat always has the perfect words of encouragement for her friends.

Year: Junior

Major: Sociology

Hometown: Newark, Delaware

What are you involved in on campus?

I am a Hawk Host, Alpha Sigma Nu Member (Jesuit Honor Society), and I play intramural basketball. Last year I also went on a service trip to Appalachia in Roanoke, Virginia and in the summer of 2012 I went on a SIP (Summer Immersion Program) to Guatemala where we helped to renovate a school.

What is your number one passion?

Wow, great question! My number one passion is people, and learning about their culture. That’s why I am sociology major, and that passion is the drive for many things I do in my life.

So, you studied abroad in South Africa. Tell us a little about your experience.

Studying abroad in Cape Town, South Africa was absolutely amazing! I did service two days a week and attended the University of Western Cape three days a week. For service, I taught English to 5th & 4th graders as an Amy Biehl Foundation volunteer, and I mentored high school students. I then attended classes at the University. I loved teaching the students – it was difficult to teach without any prior experience, but so rewarding! I taught lessons on ‘What Do You Want to be When You Grow Up?’, ‘Goal Setting’ and ‘How Can You Make a Difference in the World?’.  My students taught me their traditional language, iXhosa. As cliché as it might sound, I think I learned more from my students than I taught them. On the weekends, my housemates and I explored Cape Town, hiked mountains, and surfed. It was an awesome and challenging experience and I learned a lot during my five months in Cape Town.

What is the one thing you will never forget from that trip?

I will never forget the students I taught, my study abroad friends (now family), and the people I met. I will not forget the relationships I built with some pretty amazing people.

What did you miss the most from home while you were abroad?

I had a great time abroad, but I definitely missed family and friends- both from Delaware and SJU. I missed their presence, and small things too like just hanging out around campus or in the library. Oh, and I also missed Landmark’s veggie burgers- those are heavenly! 

Can you pick one of your favorite things about SJU?

Just one? The people! Whether that be the students or faculty members, the people at Saint Joes truly care about you- and that is a very rare thing. I think a semester abroad I learned to appreciate my friends, professors, SJU and the community that much more. Saint Joes is a special place, and I’m just happy to be a part of it.

Do you know what you would want to do after you graduate?

Wow using the ‘g’ word already? That’s a great question, and I’m happy to say that my experiences abroad gave me more options for future plans. I think I would like to do a year of service, and then possibly work towards becoming a teacher or working for an international non-profit organization. 

Give us three Cat Jones fun facts.

Oh! Three fun facts?  Well I’m not sure if they’re fun but…#1: I camped in a tent for a week traveling around Botswana, Zimbabwe and South Africa with Sarah Kelly and Caitlin Lavorgna for our mid-semester break (I went abroad with them as well).

#2: I am a vegetarian.

#3: And my brother and I are the co-founders of our family’s non-profit organization, Kind to Kids. Kind to Kids makes dreams come true for foster children and children in need.

Cat Jones is a truly caring human being. So if you are planning to study abroad in a unique place or want to get involved with service, try talking to Cat. She will give you great advice and tons of stories about her own experience.  

Born and raised in Guayaquil, Ecuador. Majoring in Communication Studies at Saint Joseph's University. I am a fashion lover since day one, I am pretty sure it is in my genes. I believe that knowledge is important, love and kindness are necessary, faith is what holds everything together, and being girly doesn't hurt anyone.