Campus Celeb: Mike Chmielewski

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Mike Chmielewski is the man on campus. He’s knows just about everybody being that he’s an RA in Lannon Hall, a Hawk Host Tour Captain, a Teacher’s Assistant for the Communications Department, an APEX Leader and the President of the business fraternity Delta Sigma Pi. Phew, I know I feel like a tiny bit of a slacker just writing that. Mike’s friends all have only the nicest things to say about him. Her Campus’ own Sam DiGiuseppe tells me, “He is a really great guy.” And that is just the vibe you get from Mike. So I got the scoop on this senior’s best memories at SJU and his hopes for the future. 

(Look at that smile!)

What has been your most rewarding experience at sju?

I’m going to cheat and say two things, but for the same reason. Being an APEX Leader as well as President of DSP has given me the opportunity to not just work with some of the best people on this campus, but I’ve also gotten to see other individuals grow in their own ways. There is nothing more rewarding then helping other people grow and succeed in achieving their goals. In both these instances it has made me fall in love even more with both organizations and the people in them. 

What’s your best memory at sju?

Freshman year my friends and I snuck into the Villanova-SJU game through the will call side with our tickets. We were able to sit down low in the student section with the students who had been waiting outside Hagen since anywhere from 8:00 AM -12:00 PM while we had just gotten there around 5:00 PM. We felt bad about it, but we had a blast because we beat Villanova by 20 and we had some of the best seats in the house. 

(Mike looking studly on the beach)

Where do you hope to be in 5 years?

I’ll be working for E & J Gallo as a sales rep after school . They are based in Modesto, California and I would love the opportunity to go out there at some point within 5 years. Either that or be on Saturday Night Live. Whichever comes first. 

Who’s your biggest role model?

My dad. He knows how to push my buttons sometimes, but he has always been my greatest teacher. 

What will you miss most about sju?

Definitely the people. My favorite moments of the day are whenever I am walking around campus and I run into someone and it turns into a 15 minute chat. Whether it’s someone I haven’t see in a while or someone I just saw an hour ago, it’s the little things like that that I will miss the most. 

(Mike with his beautiful sisters)

Overall goal in life?

To be happy. 

Favorite class you’ve ever taken?

Beautiful Social with Aimee Knight. The class deals with students working in groups with non-profits. My group worked with a dairy cheese farm that was family owned. We produced a video for them to use on their Kickstarter they made to raise money for their farm. Their goal was $25,000.00 and we helped them exceed that making $33,000.00! It was awesome being able to really impact someone else’s life in such a positive way. 

Best advice you’ve ever received?

Life is all about perseverance, and that tough times don’t last but tough people do.  If there is one thing my dad always wanted me to remember, it was that. 

Well that’s Mike for ya! He’s an all around awesome guy.