Best Running Routes for SJU Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

After a long and cold winter, spring has officially sprung here on Hawk Hill. The warmer weather lets us finally be able to get outside and get active. So if you’re looking for a safe and convenient place to run outside and enjoy the nice weather, or you’re just sick of running on the treadmill, these three running routes are perfect for SJU students!

For the HC girl looking to run around campus:

1.     Montgomery Ave

This route is a safe option right around campus. Start by running down Latches Lane and turn left onto Old Lancaster Avenue. Run straight for about three blocks until you hit Montgomery Avenue and turn left.. To make it a longer run, you can keep going until you hit Suburban Square in Ardmore, get a healthy lunch at Sweetgreen, and then either run or take the train back to campus! 

For the HC girl looking to run near Manayunk:

2.     Kelly Drive

The River Loop is an 8.5 mile path paved from Kelly Drive to the Falls Bridge and runs along the beautiful Schuylkill River. Park at the lot located next to the large rowing judges stand and bleachers, and run all the way up to the top of the Art Museum. This run takes you by beautiful scenery, sculptures, boathouse row, and lets you end up at the top of the Art Museum! The total mileage, to the Art Museum and back, is a little over 4 miles.

For the more adventurous HC girl looking to run in the city:

3.     Ben Franklin Bridge

Bring a friend and run to another state! The bridge is typically open during daylight hours and is toll-free for pedestrians. This run gives you amazing views of the city and is best at Sunrise and Sunset. From the entrance on the PA side to the entrance on the NJ side, the total mileage is about 1.5 miles one way.

Be sure to always bring your cell phone, let someone know where you are going, and/or run with a buddy to ensure a safe run! Enjoy the warmer weather and happy running.

HCXO