The Best of Bloktoberfest 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

South Street, Philadelphia put on quite a show this past week at the 4th Annual Bloktoberfest. People of all ages showed to get a taste of the fabulous selection of beer, food and music. If you weren’t able to make it, don’t worry, the ladies of HC SJU are here to fill you in on what we thought were the highlights of the German inspired festival.

One of our favorite food trucks featured at the festival was the Farm Food Truck, featuring an American based cuisine with a gourmet twist. All of their sandwiches, soups and salads are completely natural and made with local ingredients. It is their mission to make sure all customers know “exactly WHAT you’re eating and WHERE it comes from.” They are scheduled to be in Manayunk on Friday, November 8th for anyone interested in a deliciously decadent, all natural meal! 

The Original Sin Premium Hard Cider was rated as one of the best selctions made available at Bloktoberfest based on the interviews done by HC SJU. This award winning cider was quite the crowd pleaser, described by one as “smooth, clean with a noticeable bite.”

I can honestly say that I have never tasted a more divine cupcake than the Buttercream Toffee from Sweetbox Cupcakes. Sweetbox offers a variety of flavors including blueberry cheesecake, strawberry champagne and orange creamsicle. The company not only makes themselves available via food stands at various events around Philly, but also have their own bakery, located on 339 South 13th Street. 

Bloktoberfest 2013 was a great way to spend a beautiful Saturday in Philadelphia with friends. If you didn’t make it to this event, be sure to keep a lookout for the updates that HC SJU gives you for future events and festivals for the rest of the season! 

HCXO

Hi! My name is Alexandra Tait, I am a pharmaceutical marketing major at Saint Joseph's University.