Best Basketball Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

With the women’s basketball game quickly approaching, it got me thinking, what are the best basketball movies? So I asked our lovely and talented team captain, Natasha Cloud what a few of her personal favorites are! Read on to see what movies you should be watching to get you in a basketball state of mind for the upcoming season. 

Love & Basketball

Love & Basketball tells the story of two neighbors that have a friendly love-hate relationship and a shared passion for basketball. Ever since their preteen days, Monica and Quincy have been competitive on the court, but there is no denying their attraction to each other. Watch to find out what happens between these two sexy ballers. 

Glory Road

Another personal favorite of Cloud’s, is Glory Road, which is based on a true story. Set in 1960s Texas, coach Haskins leads the first all-black starting line up in college basketball to the NCAA national championship, changing history forever. From the producers of Remember the Titans, this is a movie about teamwork, earning respect, and playing with your heart. I mean, if you don’t like feeling inspired, then this isn’t the movie for you. But really, check it out, it is truly an incredible story. 

The Sixth Man

The 6th Man is a 90s supernatural sports comedy flick about basketball, ghosts, and friendship. When Antione, the star of their college team suddenly dies, it is up to his brother Kenny to take over. Luckily, he has the ghost of Antione to help guide him in the game as well as in the game of life. If you’re feelin’ for some laughs, and maybe a good tear-up session too, look no further!

Be sure to check out Natasha’s favorite basketball movies and her stunner moves on the court next Friday!