Beat the Heat and the Office’s AC- Summer Internship Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Happy July Her Campus readers! After a quick school year, we find ourselves in the dead middle of summer.  Can you believe it? Relaxing by the pool, jetting off to vacations, yoga outside, and ice cream seem to be consuming our lives (to our liking). However many of us are not only braving the sweltering heat outside, but also shivering at the blasts of our internship office’s AC’s.

That’s right- I am a summer intern. You won’t find a girl who loves summer more than me. Practically a sunshine worshipper, I love the beach, the pool, the outdoors. Nothing makes me happier than a tan line. However, I was hell bent on a summer internship since I will be studying in Italy this fall.

So I find myself at Philadelphia Magazine as an advertising intern for the season. The work can be hard, but I am learning a lot more than I ever thought I would! The office is full of intelligent, young professionals, with awesome ideas and a great work ethic. I love the process; business casual attire, commuting by train, making my way to the 36th floor of the building, and being in the midst of putting out a popular monthly publication.

Interning at Philly Mag is sort of surreal- everyone’s experience is different. I can definitely say I have the best seat in the house, right in between the publisher and president’s office. Tip #1 ladies, watch and listen. I have learned so much about interviewing, resumes, and how to act in the corporate world simply by watching and listening to what is going on around me.  Tip #2- do whatever someone asks. Showing that you are flexible is crucial at any internship. Getting that coffee for someone can go a long way. Look at it this way- you get to take a walk (burn those extra cals) and your help will be remembered in the future. Tip #3- if you don’t know, just ask, seriously. I get nervous too, thinking I will sound incompetent if I don’t know something. But trust me, it is way better to ask and double check the first time, then doing something for a second time.

Business casual has slowly started to take over all our college closets thanks to interviews, our sorority’s events, etc. But before I hit my 9-5 work day, I find myself in my closet the night before in a state of  utter uncertainty. HEELS OR FLATS, FLATS OR HEELS? What is one to do when the Fahrenheit reaches well above leggings and a sweater dress? It feels impossible to master the summer business casual look, but with some key pieces, and a little imagination- anyone can pull it off.

Here are three outfits I have been rocking to Philly Mag. Not every piece is exactly the one I have, but every outfit I have worn. HC’s, as an unpaid intern- there ain’t no way I am rocking a $600 pair of Fendi wide leg dress trousers. But hey, a girl can work with what she’s got ;) Here is the link to my polyvore if you want to find out where you can buy each piece!

http://katie-gentile.polyvore.com/

Look #1- Classic Clean

Looking classic and professional will never go out of style, and nothing looks better than a beautiful pair of pants and a nice top. The two make you look mature, and you stand out in a good way. I wore white pants and a striped collar shirt. Stripes can also add a little bit of flavor to your outfit. You can rock a shirt with sleeves or nix them all together- like I did. Just because you may be inside does not mean you can’t showcase your tan! To avoid frizz on a humid day, I put my hair up in a sock bun- which I believe makes any outfit that much more professional. I added a pink lip color, just to add a little statement. If you add a bright lip, keep your other makeup soft. I completed my look with a pair of simple nude wedges to make my legs seem even longer in my trousers, some gold bangles, and a nude tote. Can you say, done and done? 

Look #2- Color

No surprise here- my chambray obsession has carried over into my internship. Chamrays are everywhere, and I love that there is so much diversity with them; plain, polkadots, or acid wash- everyone has their own spin. For my internship outfit, I wore my semi light wash LL Bean chambray with a dress that I have had forever but made it look like a skirt by buttoning up the chambray. Tuck it in, and you have a whole new outfit! This outfit is perfect for when I am running around Center City, the skirt is super office chic, but the chambray adds more pop. I pair it with some nude flats, a gold watch, and my Harper brown tote. This has to be my favorite outfit, its so summery and brightens up any office in a sophisticated way.

Look #3- Black and White

You know those days when you just want to wear something comfy? No, your office is never going to have a wear-your-pajamas day (sigh), but a maxi dress or skirt can almost make it feel that way. I love maxis because they are the perfect cross over of comfort and style. Maxis are so easy to wear and pair with so many things. I wear a solid black maxi often because it is a solid color and can be paired with alot. If you wear a maxi, make sure it is a basic color, and pair it with a pretty accessory. If you want to wear a maxi that screams color, keep everything else as simple as possible. I wore my Target black maxi with a simple Gap white t shirt, black sandals, and a bag. For accessories, I added some sea foam green color with a statement necklace and post earrings. 

I hope these outfits give you some inspiration for any interning, events, or parties that might be coming your way! 

Till next time,

Kate 

Hello Collegiettes! My name is Kate Gentile and I am a current junior at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. My favorite things include my dog Lilly, traveling and really arsty instagrams. Oh, and I am obsessed with Kate Middleton AND Beyonce.I am a Comm major and double minor in Advertising, PR, and Entertainment Marketing. During my time at SJU, I have interned at Philly Mag, became a sister of Alpha Phi and studied abroad last semester in Roma, Italy.After studying abroad, I now want to see many places all over the world and live for moments of beautiful unplanned enjoyment- random road trips to the beach, stopping for a drink at a cool dive bar- you name it, I am down to experience!HC SJU is an amazing team of 40+ girls (and growing) who want to offer you content of news, love, college and more. I hope you enjoy the HC SJU site and my own writing!HC XO,Kate