This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

It is hard to believe that a little over a month has already gone by since classes started. As midterms creep up, you may be feeling like the fun is over. Have no fear ladies, there are still ways to create a balance between schoolwork and your social life.

Between swapping stories from the weekend with your roommates, sports practices, chapter meetings, and trying to flirt with that cute guy who lives down the hall, how are you ever supposed to focus on schoolwork? Well the truth is, it is all about perspective. You have to remember the real reason why you are at Saint Joseph’s: for your education. Even though the social aspect of college makes it fun (or more stressful) it is important to make sure your classes are still on the top of your priority list.

For all you freshman readers: congrats on surviving your first month on Hawk Hill. Some of you may be completely adjusted to college life, and some of you may still be adjusting. Those “ifs” and “maybes” you’re feeling are normal. Just remember to embrace new challenges everyday.

To make it easier for everyone, we’ve made a list of do’s and don’ts as you continue the first semester. I know for me personally around this time my freshman year I finally began feeling “at home” here at SJU. However, it took me quite some time to find the right balance between my schoolwork and socializing. Her are some things I wish I knew:

DO:

·      Surround yourself with people who have the same goals as you. This way, you are not pressured to over socialize or get into unnecessary trouble. Don’t be afraid to branch out from your roommates because at the end of the day, your happiness is most important.

·      Know your schedule: If you have an 8 o’clock class Thursday morning, you probably shouldn’t go out on Wednesday…because chances are you will be out of absences and high grades faster than you can say, “Blarney’s”.

·      Reach out to people: Talk to people in your classes, so when you get confused about something in class you have a friend to ask, and it makes group projects a lot less awkward.

·      For Freshman: Give it a year. If school is too challenging, your friend group is not quite right, or you just don’t feel like SJU is “home yet” keep on trying. Spring semester brings around a lot more opportunities to get involved, and to have fun. Wait it out!

DON’T:

·      Be that girl: No one wants to hear about how drunk you were over the weekend in your class on Monday morning, and really no one wants to see you THAT drunk stumbling through Manayunk on a Friday night. Know your limits.

·      Share Drinks: Bacteria, colds, and the flu. That’s what you get from sharing drinks and saliva with your roommates or boy toy. Don’t do it! The last thing you want is to be affected by a cold during exam weeks.

·       Take non- prescribed ADD medication: It’s hard to stay awake all day for class, and then spend the night studying so Adderall might be tempting. But, the affects of ADD meds on a person who doesn’t need them can be costly. These drugs can cause serious cardiac and neurologic problems, especially if used incorrectly. In the worst-case scenario, drink some coffee or exercise. You will produce more energy by working out and eating healthy anyway.

As collegiate women we certainly have a lot on our plates at all times, and eventually you will be able to balance it all out. First and foremost, whether it means getting your favorite spot in the library every night, or studying with a friend at home, try your best to stay on top of your schoolwork. With all the distractions around you it may seem tough, but it will be worth it when the weekend rolls around and you’re able to go out and have fun. Stay healthy, stay involved, and stay on top of your school work. Although sometimes it may seem tough, if you do it right, at the end of the year you’ll be able to smile and look back with only a few regrets.

HCXO

Paige

My name is Paige Kacmar, I am a marketing major at Saint Joseph's University. I am so excited to be part of the HerCampus SJU team. I love every little thing about Saint Joe's and could not imagine myself spending these four years anywhere else. Along with writing for this blog I am also a member of the university's dance team. I am obsessed with basketball season and love cheering on the hawks! When I'm not dancing or writing you can usually find me online shopping at Urban Outfitters, eating Doritos, or stalking Kylie Jenner's Instagram.