Alpha Phi Omega Welcomes Casey Cares

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Alpha Phi Omega, the service fraternity on campus, recently welcomed the Casey Cares Foundation in the Cardinal Foley Center for a day full of fun activities. The Casey Cares Foundation is a non-profit organization that coordinates uplighting events for critically ill children. This foundation is centered in Baltimore but has been expanding across six states within the Mid-Atlantic region and Washington D.C. The event that APO held on Sunday consisted of five different themed activities ranging from friendship bracelet making to “minute to win it” themed games. The children appeared shy at first, however, once they met the warm eyes of the fraternity members they were dancing and smiling for the duration of the event.

During this event I had the opportunity to make a friendship bracelet with a young boy suffering from a debilitating illness. At first he was shy in my presence, however, he began to smile and independently place the beads on the string as time went on. This child laughed and smiled just as any other young boy would. He desired to participate in activities, however, he was unable to due to his condition. I truly cherished the small amount of time that I spent with this individual.  I left that event with a sense of understanding, an understanding for the blessings that I possess but fail to awknowledge.The children and families that I met at this event made me realize that a small amount of service can make an impact on numerous lives. I think it is safe to assume that these children not only impacted myself but also all of APO. 

“The Casey Cares Foundation was a heartwarming day as a new brother of Alpha Phi Omega. I was able to see the smiling faces of these children and felt extremely blithe in knowing that my brothers and I were able to make lasting memories for the families. Their smiles made me smile.” – Gabe Angeles ’18

It is important to get involved in your community and listen to the stories that others have to offer. Stay humble, stay kind, stay involved. That’s the Magis.

HCXO,

Mary