nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Achieving Minimalism in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

It’s easy in college to get distracted by your laptop, phone, and friends and procrastinate your work. However, there are some simple lifestyle changes that you can make to increase productivity and live happier with less.

The first thing to do in order to take a step towards minimalism is to delete the Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, TikTok app off of your phone. Don’t delete your entire account (unless you feel like you can totally live without it); but by deleting these apps, you limit the amount of times you pick up your phone.

If you know that you don’t have the Instagram app on your phone, then you can’t scroll through photos. Now boom. There’s 10-15 minutes of your time that you can use on something more productive.

Next, focus on what you have to do that day. Don’t worry about assignments due in a weeks time. Do the work that you can do right now. By doing this, you’re striving for mental clarity. It’s hard to stay focused when many things are competing for your attention. What I like to do is to write down the assignments I have for this week, and then highlight what I can do right now.

Stressing about a future paper or test is easy and it ultimately leads to anxiety. Don’t let it overcome you. Take control of your mind and clear out what is unimportant and out of your control. Minimalism isn’t just a way of life but it’s also a mindset.

Source: Google

URL:https://www.google.com/minimalism-quote-04-orig.jpg

This last part may be the toughest method of incorporating minimalism into your life. In college, it’s easy to collect a lot of free stuff, to hoard a bunch of clothes from home, and to hold onto a bunch of papers from your classes. When school is over, you’ll have to bring all of this stuff back to your house.

I would suggest cleaning out your room/dorm every two weeks, sorting through what excites you versus what no longer holds any purpose. You’ll totally be thanking yourself when you’re not breaking your back to carry boxes of stuff out of your room/dorm.

Minimalism, to me, means focusing on the most important aspects of my life. What apps are the most productive? What assignments need my attention? What stresses and thoughts can I put aside in order to reorient my focus? What objects are useful to me, and what are the things that are just taking up space?

To achieve minimalism, it isn’t about throwing everything out and starting over in order to live a simpler lifestyle; it’s about reevaluating what you need and what you don’t.

Take these tips to declutter your life and mind, and hopefully, you’ll be able to work towards minimalism!

HCXO,

Leslie

Hey there! I'm Leslie and I'm an Interdisciplinary Health Services major and English minor. I love running, photography, reading at night, and playing ice hockey. I hope you enjoy reading my articles just as much as I enjoy writing them!
Saint Joseph's University Campus Correspondent