This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

It is almost the end of the semester and you might be realizing it’s too late to make a big change. You might have to realize you just had a rough semester. It’s okay, here’s how to recover.

1. Notice the positives

Whether your semester struggles were academic or otherwise, not everything you did that semester was negative. Maybe you made strides in your extracurriculars or made some really great friends. Maybe you started going to therapy or eating in a way that made you feel better. Maybe you started talking to your dad again or scored a summer job. Maybe it’s as simple as you just got out of bed everyday. Whatever it was, give yourself the credit you deserve. There were positive pieces in your semester, not everything you did was a fail.

1. Talk to someone academic

If you struggled academically, it’s important to talk to someone about how you can be better and have an easier time in the future. Email a trusted professor or your academic advisor and set up a time to meet and talk about your difficulties. It’s best to keep your professors in the loop throughout the semester if you are having a hard time, but it can be hard to do. Even if you didn’t have conversations throughout the semester, it’s better to have this discussion late than to never have it.

Even if your struggles weren’t academic it can still be helpful to talk to professors or your advisor about what is going on in your life. They care about you and may be able to lead you down a path or to another person that can be more help.

1. Talk to someone about your mental health

I am a strong believer that everyone should see a therapist, but especially after you have  gone through a rough patch or are currently struggling. Talking to a therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist can be scary at first, but it’s really a great thing and can be so beneficial in the long run. Even just seeing someone a few times to talk through what’s going on and get an unbiased perspective can be really helpful.

Talking to someone about your mental health is especially important if you’re having, or had, a rough semester. Where are you mentally? How can your mental game improve? Are you dealing with any mental health issues that may be making things more difficult? What are some coping skills you can use in your everyday life to help you through a bad situation?

1. Utilize your campus resources

On my campus, we have so many resources at our fingertips that often go unused. We have CAPS for therapy which a lot of students do utilize as it is is free and close by. We also have the Success Center which is there really to support you with anything you need academically. We have academic support for student athletes including tutors and special study rooms. We also have the Office of Student Outreach & Support which is there to answer general questions, lead you to someone who is best suited for your needs, and help with bigger issues like substance abuse recovery. We have the Office of Inclusion and Diversity which is so important for minority students. We have the CAS and HSB Advising Centers which are great for help with your major or major change questions. If I didn’t list what you need I can still be sure there is someone on campus equipt with the tools to answer your question.

While not every campus has the same resources many have similar to what we have here at St. Joe’s. And if your school doesn’t have something you need they are usually more than willing to refer you to someone in your community who does.

1. Take a break

If you have the opportunity -winter break, summer,etc- take some time to breathe. Whatever it was you were struggling with during the semester put it on the back burner and give yourself some space from the pain. When you are ready, revisit the issue and find some solutions and/or skills to move forward. Giving yourself space can help you heal and change your perspective when you come back to the problem and are ready to make a change moving forward.

1. Remember why you’re here

Why are you in college? Everyone will answer differently, but whatever your reason is, it is valid and important. Remind yourself how far you’ve come, how much you’ve grown, the positive changes you have made, and what is important to you moving forward. Sometimes the most important thing isn’t school, if that’s the case, reflect on why and how you are going to move forward in your future. I used to think the only successful people were those that did 4 years of college right after graduating high school and then immediately got a job. This is just plain untrue. There are so many ways to be successful and they are different for everyone. Wherever you are remember why you’re there and how you got there.

Hello my name’s Genna and I’m qualified to write this article because I’ve had a few bad semesters in my recent history for one reason or another. Wish me luck in taking my own advice in the future!

HCXO,

Genna

SJU 2022 Political Science
Saint Joseph's University Campus Correspondent