This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

First off… HOLY GUACAMOLE THIS SEASON WAS AMAZING!

I just needed to get that out of my system, before you continued to read about how great this recent season of You was.

Please note, there will be loads of “You” Season 4 spoilers ahead, so continue at your own discretion… you’ve been warned. 

Netflix released the fourth season of “You”  on Thursday, February 9th, and needless to say, I binged watched all six episodes in one sitting. 

If you have been following my articles, you may remember my review of Season 3 of “You” article, and that I have been very into the show since the first season came out in 2018.

So, I thought it was only fitting that I revisit this style of article for this most recent season. 

The end of season 3, left off with Joe leaving his son Henry, and heading to Paris to follow… I’m sure you’re floored… a girl. 

Typical Joe behavior.

After not finding Marienne in Paris, he follows her to London.

Marienne knows the truth about Joe, thanks to Love, the also crazy ex wife that Joe killed, and is rightfully not Joe’s biggest fan. 

Joe, when he finally finds Marienne, is surprised that she isn’t more excited to see him, and is taken back by the look of fear that he is met with. 

Eventually, Joe lets her go, and Marienne is a thing of the past. A heartbroken Joe, assumes a new identity as Jonathen Moore, and begins teaching at a college.

In this season, Joe is determined to leave his past in the past, and live a quiet life, but that doesnt last long. 

After being introduced to the fabulously rich of London, things start to fall apart. 

One of my favorite changes this season has to offer, is that the YOU Joe keeps talking to, isn’t a girl at all, it’s whoever framed him for the murder of his neighbor Malcolm. 

That’s right folks, Joe is the victim in this season! 

Of course he still kills people, but overall it’s not to gain the love of a girl, it’s out of self defense.

The character development of Joe is impressive in this season. He has this mysterious YOU, trying to frame him for a murder, and now blackmailing him into killing more people. 

He is having to play detective, to figure out who the mysterious YOU is, and then he is also trying to protect his kind of sort of love interest Kate. 

Joe tries his best to avoid the feelings he has for Kate, but isn’t successful. 

In this season, Joe as well as the viewers, are offered some contrast to Joe’s personality. 

In one of the first episodes, Joe meets Rhys Montrose, an author, who seems the most relatable to Joe. 

Surrounded by entitled rich nepo babies, Rhys is humble, and humanized, and Joe enjoys the short time spent with him. 

In the last episode though, Joe gets taken by Rhys, and it is revealed that Rhys is the YOU that has been blackmailing and framing him. 

Talk about a plot twist!

The other contrast to Joe, that is more obvious throughout the whole season, is Roald, Kate’s close friend.

Joe finds intrusive photos of Kate on Roald’s camera, and picks up on how Roald is obsessed with Kate. 

Hmmm, sounds like someone else we know. 

On top of that, Roald tries to shoot Joe… TWICE!

Let’s see, stalking women, invading their lives, being willing to kill people to “protect” those women… totally a Joe Goldberg move, and the fact that Joe is appalled at Roald’s behavior is hilarious. 

In all honesty, I could talk about this season of YOU forever, but I will leave some of the interpretations up to you!

Season 4 Part Two is set to release on March 9th, and I’m sure there will be another article from me coming out shortly after, to talk about all the crazy details!

What did you think of the first part of Season 4 of ‘YOU’? Let us know @HerCampusSJSU