This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

As Women’s History Month comes to an end, what better way to celebrate it than watching a woman-filled show. Amazon Prime’s The Wilds has become my new favorite women empowerment series. The show is assured to keep you entertained with the drama, comedy, romance, thriller, psychological and mystery aspects. Not only is the storyline amazing, but it has a diverse cast of young and promising actresses.

The Wilds focuses on female empowerment. The media too often pinpoints female characters against each other– like Mean Girls, for example. It’s rare when we find a show that truly encompasses what it’s like to navigate female relationships from a young age.

The story begins with the group of girls going to the Dawn of Eve, a women empowerment retreat. They, however, never make it to the Dawn of Eve and have to discover empowerment in a different way. The group has to face different challenges so much so that despite their differences, they all come together and form unbreakable bonds.

Yet, my favorite part about the series is the characters. You are bound to relate to at least one– if not all– of them. Not only is the cast diverse, but so are the character stories. Just to mention a few background stories, the group consists of a beauty pageant contestant from Texas, two sisters from New York, two Native-American friends from Minnesota, and a cello player from the Bay Area.

The episodes are set up so that each girl gets to share their story during every episode. Throughout the show, we find out all the experiences that the characters have gone through before they go to the Dawn of Eve. The show talks about a lot of important issues that often get overlooked. They touch on eating disorders, sexual assault, suicide, sexuality, and LGBT+ issues. And they do in a way that can be easily digested by the audience.

One worth talking about more is the way the show portrays sexuality. Instead of being shameful, they turn it into a positive thing. The show does a spectacular job in showing the girl’s personal development, as well as showing their own self-love. The characters know who they are and who they love, and those who don’t, learn to come to terms with it in a positive way.

As a woman of color, it isn’t often that I see myself represented in media. Being able to see myself and my experiences portrayed on tv is something that will always fulfill me. Especially, if it’s done in such an entertaining, and binge-worthy way.

The Wilds is an amazingly executed show that is sure to leave anyone who watches it wanting more. The Wilds is available to stream on Amazon Prime.

Hello! My name is Fernanda. I'm a graduating senior at SJSU! I am studying Political Science and Journalism in hopes to better the world through my writing. I love to use the magic of words to bring awareness to social issues and to provide a platform to showcase others' talents.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah