This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Whenever I read a fictional book, typically romance, I notice how the main character is always having the best day. Despite how unrealistic their thinking may be, the way they view their lives is almost inspiring. They can take an ordinary encounter and turn it into something more magical. I began to wonder why I was not doing this in my own life. 

I decided to take the time to enjoy the smaller, more peaceful moments of my day. It all seemed like a ridiculous idea to me at the start since I didn’t really understand the point. However, I still tried looking at life from a different perspective. Going through life believing you are the main character is something I genuinely believe everyone should try. I have learned to love the little things that happen throughout my day. 

I believe romanticizing your life can have a lot of different meanings depending on each individual. After having a discussion with my friends on what that means for them, they helped me realize that doing this is not some large otherworldly concept despite it seeming as though it is something unachievable or unattainable. For myself, I enjoy romanticizing my life by slowing down and going through it all at my own pace. In the past, I always felt as though I was moving in a rush as if the world was gonna keep moving without me. Now, I set more time aside for myself in my normal routine.

Every week, I meet with my friends after class for a coffee and always find myself nervous that I am never going to have enough time to finish my assignment. I could never fully relax with the overwhelming amount of tasks I needed to accomplish. Now, I take this hour of my day to enjoy this time with my friends and let go of all my other worries. In the evenings before I go to sleep, I spend thirty minutes just quietly reading. I have become a much happier person by ensuring that I have time to do something I enjoy in my daily routine. 

I really encourage all of you to find out what it means to romanticize your own life, and start doing it! I truly believe that you will see the impact on your own personal growth, happiness, and outlook on life. Let us know on Instagram, @HerCampusSJSU, how you romanticize your life!

Hi my name is Anjali! I am a senior at San Jose State University with a major in Business Administration. I love reading and writing articles for this amazing organization! A majority of my articles revolve around metal health and self care because of how strongly I feel about these topics, and want to continue to shed light on their importance.