What It’s Like Being Married in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Most twenty-two year olds are finishing up their final year in college, taking on internships and focused on meeting all of the requirements so that there’s no surprises around graduation time. They are also trying to figure out a sensible answer to the daunting question “what are you going to do after college?” And if you are a journalism major you’re hearing “so, what are you going to do with that?”

This semester I’m juggling school, work, internship and oh yeah a husband. Since i’ve gotten married it’s been amazing starting my new life and yes having the weight of wedding planning off my shoulders, but of course there’s a whole new set of challenges.

When you have a spouse you obviously have to make time for them but oftentimes in college we feel like we literally have no time to spare. However, there’s always time we just have to figure how to plan it better.

In my case I transitioned to having a long distance boyfriend  to living with a man everyday. I think it’s safe to say there’s been a huge change in my life. Before the wedding my boyfriend was my vacation. I saw him the most on breaks when I went back home and so seeing him was actually a vacation every time.

Now that we’re married and living together it’s hard for me to turn off the let’s have a good time it’s summer vibe and enter back into the fast-paced semester life. Maintaining a healthy relationship along with decent grades has proven to be a difficult task. Along with dropping and adding classes I’m dropping and adding last names.

So far most people are excited to see my wedding pictures and ask about our honeymoon and all the fun stuff. And I definitely don’t mind reliving the happiest time of my life. But when people ask “so how’s married life?” I never know what to say. It’s kind of hard to put into words right now. How do we go from talking about classes to me maintaining my marriage.

It’s something that is definitely going to take some getting used to. It is much better than the awkward pause, “wait! you’re married?” question. Because now I feel like I have to explain myself and almost defend why we chose to get married now.

Nevertheless I understand the life of college students. We go to bed late, binge almost everything and barely manage to make it through our classes. So I can see why it’s hard to comprehend one of our peers getting married.  

I guess you could say i’m taking “adulting” to another level.

Tiana is a senior at San Jose State University and she is learning to take each day one step at a time while adjusting to life in the Bay Area. She's often watching YouTube videos on D.I.Y projects or hair care, but majority of the time she's watching Parks and Rec episodes while pretending to do homework. In the midst of all that homework dodging she's also casually planning her dream wedding.