Style > Fashion

Ways to Update Your Winter Wardrobe This Year

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Winter is finally here. It is the best season for showing off your fashionable side, as you can wear pretty much any type of article of clothing, as long as you layer correctly. If you are sick and tired of wearing the same coats and scarves you have been wearing for years, it may be time to buy new trending items this winter. For those who love to blend style with comfort, this is the perfect article to guide you through updating your winter wardrobe. 

1) Standout outerwear

A statement-making outerwear is essential to building your winter wardrobe. It can elevate your outfit to the next level. Your outerwear is more than something you just throw over your outfit; it is the outfit. Whether it be a coat in a bold color, an oversized puffer, or a jacket with a faux fur texture, it can make a huge difference in how you want to show off your style. Also, it will be needed for these dropping temperatures.

While these outerwear may be more expensive, investing in one is wise because it won’t be something you throw away after the season ends. It is the one article of clothing that will never get old, no matter how many years pass. Luxurious coats are made from high-quality material, such as premium wool or fine leather, ensuring durability, longevity, and attention to detail. 

2) business casual

Business casual, a term that previously failed to gain popularity in the fashion world, is finally making an impact this winter. Slacks and blazers have been appearing on the runway as a creative way to defy rigid dress codes. The beauty of business casual lies in its adaptability. This unique way of dressing for work goes beyond the usual strict rules, letting people show off their style while still looking sharp and on point.

From tailored blazers paired with smart chinos to tastefully selected blouses matched with well-fitted trousers, the spectrum of business casual attire is as vast as it is stylish. Business casual items you should buy this winter include a classic blazer, a tailored pencil skirt, and a pair of loafers or ballet flats. Whatever article of clothing you choose should contain a flair of your style. 

3) sheer materials

Sheer is making a comeback this winter. Vibrant mesh layers and elegant lace dresses are everywhere on social media. If you’re interested in the trend, try purchasing sultry sheer fabrics and pairing them with more covered-up styles, like a long-sleeve maxi dress. For a casual everyday look, try layering a see-through midi skirt over (or under) a mini dress or skirt for a trendy layered effect.

Transform your sheer dresses into a winter-ready outfit by layering it with long-sleeved tops. To nail the art of styling sheer clothing, go for a turtleneck or a knit top that matches the dress’s color. This approach is particularly effective with dresses sporting plunging necklines or wrap-effect fronts. Ensure that the layers underneath are snug-fitting to complement the airy flow of the sheer fabric.

Did these trends help you with updating your winter wardrobe? Let us know at @HerCampusSJSU!

Hey guys! My name is Sabira Abdolcader and I am a senior editor for the SJSU chapter of Hercampus. I have been apart of Hercampus for a semester now and I am very excited to continue my journey with the writers team. Some topics that I love to write about are fashion, music, and entertainment.