This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

1. Elf Cosmetics

If you’re on a budget like me, Elf Cosmetics is the way to go. It’s vegan, cruelty-free, and very affordable. They’re also local and based in Oakland, CA. You can find this brand pretty much anywhere. They have everything from hydrating facial cream to volumizing mascara.

2. Kat Von D Beauty

Kat Von D was created by American tattoo artist and animal activist Kat Von D. With this makeup brand, you never have to worry about your makeup coming off during the day because of its high-pigment vegan formula. They have everything from foundation and concealer to eyeshadow. You can find this brand at any of your local Sephoras.

3. Tarte

Tarte is another brand which you can find at Sephora. I have personally tried some of their products, and my favorite is the Amazonian Clay 16 Hour Full Coverage Foundation because of its lightweight feel and how great it is for your skin. It has Vitamin E which acts as an anti-inflammatory and has mineral pigments that soothe and soften the skin. 

4. Urban Decay

Urban Decay is 100% vegan and never tests on animals. Their products are also really popular, and my favorite product would be their Naked eyeshadow palettes. I also like the creative names that they have for their palettes like the Wild West Eyeshadow Palette with names like Ghost Town, Cowboy Rick, etc. This brand can be found at Sephora, as well as Ulta Beauty.

5. Too Faced

Too Faced is known for their makeup brushes which are referred to as “teddy bear hair” because the bristles are as soft as teddy bear fur. Their Born this Way concealer and foundation are also popular because of their hydrating and oil free formula.

By using these vegan, cruelty-free makeup brands, your skin will be healthier and your wallet will be happier. You will also have the satisfaction of knowing that the makeup brands you use were not tested on animals. If you decide to try out any of these brands let us know on Instagram, @HerCampusSJSU!

I'm a journalism major at SJSU. This is my first semester writing for Her Campus.