This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

As BTS continues to make their way towards world domination and K-Pop continues to expand to be a part of Western media, now’s a good time for new K-Pop fans to learn more about other groups as well. Although it is impossible to list all of the bands on a single page, I’ve created a list of groups any K-Pop fan should check out!

1. The Boyz

What to listen to: The Stealer

First on the list is The Boyz! Although the number of members may seem excessive, these 11 charismatic boys will steal your heart with their talent, visuals and personality! They even won a survival program called Road To Kingdom against other boy groups. With their honey-like vocals and powerful performances, The Boyz will take over! Watch the latest music video for their comeback song “The Stealer”- they’ll be sure to steal your heart.

2. GOT7

What to listen to: Not by the Moon

GOT7 is a multinational group composed of members from Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Thailand and Korea. With concepts ranging from “cool” to even Shakespeare, these seven men will captivate you with their princely charms. Fun Fact: One of the members used to be an award-winning fence player in Hong Kong!

3. Stray Kids

What to listen to: Back Door

Stray Kids is an eight-member performance group, put together by the leader, Bang Chan. The members Han, Chan, and Changbin – also known as 3RACHA – write and compose the music for the whole group to perform. Their songs deliver strong messages about their youth and all the highs and lows that come with it.

4. DAY6

Although they are a band and not a performance group, DAY6 continues to amaze with their beautiful vocals and self-composed songs. Their discography is filled with sweet voices and wonderful lyrics. From ballads to upbeat songs, DAY6 has it all. They even wrote and performed a new song every month in 2017! The members Young K, Wonpil and Dowoon are part of a subunit of the group called “Even of Day”.

5. Red Velvet

What to listen to: Psycho

With both a ”red” and a ”velvet” side, Red Velvet’s experimental and catchy music will definitely be enjoyable. Whether you prefer the fun and upbeat red side or the softer velvet side, Red Velvet is a girl group worth listening to. Two members, Irene and Seulgi, recently formed a sub-unit and released their song “Monster”.

6. TWICE

What to listen to: I Can’t Stop Me

TWICE has established itself as one of South Korea’s top girl groups and one of K-Pop’s global leaders. Formed on the reality show SIXTEEN, the girls competed with other trainees at their company to debut. Their bubbly voices and fairy-like visuals will not fail to put a smile on your face and brighten your day.

7. SHINee

What to watch: Good Evening

SHINee’s music is known for how experimental it is. While they aren’t a relatively new group compared to others on this list, having debuted in 2008 with their song “Replay”, SHINee has definitely left their mark on the industry. You can’t find a group like SHINee anywhere else in the world. The members and music are definitely one of a kind.

8. KARD

What to watch: Gunshot

In the K-Pop industry, it is rare to see men and women in the same group together, but KARD is changing the game! With the girls’ beautiful voices and the guys’ intense rapping, KARD has it all. Because they have both men and women in the group, they get to share both sides of a relationship in their songs, as if they were talking to each other.

9. Monsta X

What to listen to: Zombie

What to watch: Fantasia

Monsta X is known for their hardcore dancing and intense rapping. They were formed on the reality show No Mercy, where trainees competed against each other to form the ultimate performance group. The six members have taken the world by storm with their music, talent and charisma. One of their rappers, Jooheon, even released his own mixtape!

10. LOONA

What to listen to: Why Not?

Loona is known for their diverse and eclectic sound, their crisp performances and unique colors. With 12 members, all of their different personalities and colors shine through in their performances. In their own “Loonaverse”, there is lore present in their music videos, descriptions, lyrics and choreography. Before they debuted, they even released music videos in different units to introduce the members!

11. Honorary Mention: JUS2

What to listen to: Focus On Me

JUS2 is a subunit of GOT7 members JB and Yugyeom. They have only one album as of right now, but their title track ‘Focus On Me’ is captivating and the choreography for it is very satisfying!

The K-Pop industry is filled with many talented artists that produce such good music it’s hard to just write down all of them but it’s good to start somewhere! There are hundreds of other groups and soloists out there so explore and see what you like!

I am a Journalism major at SJSU. I fell in love with it and I hope to travel the world to learn new things and meet new people. I hope one day to have my works published for the world to see. In my free time, I like listening to music while I scroll aimlessly through social media or talking to my friends.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah