This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

We are nearing the end of the fall semester, which means the holidays are around the corner but unfortunately it also means that final exams are approaching. Sometimes final exams can make or break your grade, so it’s important to study hard for them before enjoying your time off. Here are some good tips on studying for finals!

1. Review the final study guide

Many teachers provide students with a study guide outlining potential topics that are going to come up in the exam. This study guide is crucial when studying for the final. If your teacher gives questions and topics in the study guide, go through each one and make sure you understand everything. A good way to do this is to collaborate with classmates so you can look over each concept and cross-check your answers.

2. Look over past midterms and quizzes

A lot of classes have a couple of midterms and then a final exam, so it can be helpful to look over the midterms that you took before to help you study material that you’ve been tested on already. Some teachers sometimes even repeat questions that they’ve given in previous tests and quizzes. The midterms are filled with good examples of what kind of questions will come up during the final!

3. Make flashcards to study terms

If you’re in a class that involves memorizing terms and definitions, a good way to study them is flashcards. You can either use Quizlet to make online cards or write them out on physical cards. You might be able to find the cards on Quizlet, but I suggest making them yourself as writing the information can help you retain more information. If you’re someone who likes to write your flashcards out and make them look nice, do it! Do anything that will best help you remember the information.

4. Watch past lecture recordings

Thanks to the newly implemented virtual learning systems, many teachers have started to record their Zoom lectures and post them on Canvas. Take advantage of this and go back to the lecture for topics that you may have missed or not fully understood. Make sure you take notes and read them over before the exam!

5. Make study groups

Many people prefer to study alone with no distractions, but others enjoy meeting with peers to help answer questions and clarify topics. The perk of having a study group with peers from your class is that you can test one another and answer questions together.

6. Attend tutoring sessions

If you need further support in a class that you’re struggling in, a good way to clarify questions is to go to a tutor before your exam. SJSU has tutors to help you in various subjects, so take advantage of this resource! Make sure you go into the tutoring session prepared with specific questions to ask and then practice them after the session to help you master the material.

Lastly, try not to stress too much about finals! If you studied hard and are proud of your work, you’re going to do well. Remember that when you’re done with finals, the class is finally over! Good luck everyone!

My name is Sachi and I'm a Marketing Major at SJSU and I love photography, going on new adventures, and doing anything creative!
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah